Pale ale recipe feedback - using up leftovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chlehb

Reaction score
Sorry for another recipe feedback thread. I'm not really ready to start designing my own recipes but I have some milled malts I really need to use up and we're moving next week so I figured I'd brew a beer to say thanks to the friends helping with the move. So the goal is a) use up leftovers and b) make a beer everyone will like.

Regarding b, I figured a lightly hopped pale ale should do the trick. As for a, here's what I came up with:

Batch size: 12L
Yeast: WY 1056 slurry
Method: BIAB
OG: 1.044
FG: 1.010

Grains
1.7kg Maris Otter Pale
1kg German Pale Ale
200g Pale Wheat
100g Dextrose
50g Caramünich 1 (~Crystal 40)

Hops
5g Amarillo @ 60
5g Cascade @ 30
5g Cascade @ 10
5g Cascade @ 5

Mash
Full volume, no sparge at 67°

Does this look reasonable? I also have some Goldings, Saaz, Northern Brewer, Citra, Galaxy, Willamette and Fuggles hops.

Thanks!

It looks good. Should suit what you want. Personally, I'd use the Northern Brewer for bittering and shift the Amarillo to flame-out.....It's a bit wasted as a bittering hop.

Thanks for your reply, that makes sense.
Because I want to keep the IBUs down so everyone likes it, this is actually more a Blonde Ale in terms of style. This article (single Willamette addition) by Zainasheff and a blonde ale recipe by a local brewer that uses only a single Amarillo addition are making me reconsider my hop bill.

Will NB/Cascade/Amarillo be too much for such a simple beer and would I be better served by going single hop, maybe even single addition? How would my beer change between a single hop load @60 vs 1 @60 and 1 @15.

In the quantities you are talking, NB (bittering only....it's quite clean) with Cascade and Amarillo will give delicate/subtle aroma and flavour. All Willamette would also be an excellent choice for a blonde ale.
IMO, Willamette would be the 'safer' option.

A single addition at 60 will give almost no hop flavour or aroma. An addition at 60 and an addition at 15 is quite common in mainstream beers. It will give a mild hop flavour and aroma. This (IMO) would work really well with Willamette (although I'd still go with a small addition at 5mins as well).

Back