Pale ale recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
11lb 5oz pale malt
1lb 2oz munch 10
10oz crystal 15

1oz amarillo @15
1oz cascade @15
1oz amarillo @5
1oz cascade @5
2oz amarillo steep @160 for 20min
2oz cascade steep @160 for 20min
2oz amarillo dry hop 5 days
2oz scads dry hop 5 days
Wlp 001 or wlp 002

Let me know what you think

I don't know your AA's but I'm surprised that is coming out at 62 IBU. If it is calculating a lot of those from your steep just be aware that at 160 you will probably get minimal if any additional bittering, at least perceived. It's bordering on too much crystal for me in an IPA (with that hopping that's what I'd call it) but that's personal taste. I think it looks good.
:mug:

I get about 35 ibus on the boil hops. The crystal malt is 5%. That's what I heard was typical

I get about 35 ibus on the boil hops.

Yeah that sounds more like it. IME the calculations for IBU contribution from hopstand additions way over estimates the actual perceived bitterness in the final beer. If you want a beer that tastes like 60 IBU I would add some bittering hops. If you're shooting for a less bitter, more pale ale range then you may want to leave it. Like I said the crystal is a personal preference thing for me, I tend to use none in IPA's, so you can ignore that if you want. You're not going overboard by any means, and certainly not for more of a pale ale.

Yeah I'm hoping for a pale ale. It's only 5.6 but I want a lot of hop nose but easy drinkability

I'm forgetting which blog took their beer to their lab, but they were getting 5% utilization on their extended (like 90min) flameout hopstand for a 5 gallon batch.

Down at 160, you probably aren't getting IBUs.

To me that looks more like an IPA. I'm brewing a pale ale this weekend its a Marris otter/ Galaxy SMaSH. My recipe looks like this.

11lbs Marris otter

.25 Galaxy 60min
.25 Galaxy 30min
.25 Galaxy 15min
Whirlflock 15min
.25 Galaxy 5min
Dry hop 1oz for 5 days

My IBUs come to 35 which is more in the pale ale style guide line. But your recipe looks really good but in my opinion it is more of an IPA.

Basically I want a lot of aroma and it's only an ipa based on amount of hops the actual ibus will be about 35 and the ABC is 5.6 neither of those are ipa. But if I get an ipa aroma with a pale ale mouth feel and abv then I'll be happy

sounds good to me. i'm brewing something similar tomorrow but putting 1 pound flaked oats in. heard it was good for head retention???? i never added hops to my mash rest, do you find good hop profile from this as to adding them around 45 min? i am also looking for low IBU's but nice mouthfeel and hop profile. think i might give it a try at 160f for 20 min

I like your recipe, and that is the way I make my Pale's. I treat Pale Ale's more as an ISA. If you are an IPA lover I think naturally your Pale's will look like this.
The IBU's look good. They will still be in Pale Ale levels-- but not 60 IBUs, It'll be in the 40's I would guess-
I also use carapils, and a crystal (usually 2% crystal and 3% Carapils) together to achieve about 5% combined.
Anyways, nice work!

To each there own for sure, definitely would put this in ISA range but looks like a damn fine beer. i am a huge fan of late hop bittering so might just have to give this a try... except with Maris Otter... love me some Maris Otter!

sounds good to me. i'm brewing something similar tomorrow but putting 1 pound flaked oats in. heard it was good for head retention???? i never added hops to my mash rest, do you find good hop profile from this as to adding them around 45 min? i am also looking for low IBU's but nice mouthfeel and hop profile. think i might give it a try at 160f for 20 min

The hops I am adding as steeping hops are not in the mash. They sit in hot wort after the boil. As far as mash hops go I have never done it but with today's home brew knowledge everyone says it's a waste of hops and you basically get nothing out if it. But you never know till you try I guess

The hops I am adding as steeping hops are not in the mash. They sit in hot wort after the boil. As far as mash hops go I have never done it but with today's home brew knowledge everyone says it's a waste of hops and you basically get nothing out if it. But you never know till you try I guess

best advice i could of come across thanks for the help. after my boil i steeped in 2 ounces of amarillo and 1/4 ounce of grapefruit peel for 20 min at 160. just did a hydrometer reading and tasted my first product and it is amazing. so much hop profile and very low bitter, grapefruit jumps right out at you. has a real malty finish but i believe that will drop out a bit as well as home hop sediment. still has a nice balance, but all in all turned out great. thanks for the advice

best advice i could of come across thanks for the help. after my boil i steeped in 2 ounces of amarillo and 1/4 ounce of grapefruit peel for 20 min at 160. just did a hydrometer reading and tasted my first product and it is amazing. so much hop profile and very low bitter, grapefruit jumps right out at you. has a real malty finish but i believe that will drop out a bit as well as home hop sediment. still has a nice balance, but all in all turned out great. thanks for the advice

So what was your recipe

i wasn't going for anything specific just had a vision and wanted a nice well balanced ale not too biter, floral and tasty with a touch of sweet malty finishes.
i did-
10 pounds= US 2 row
2.5 pounds= US Wheat
2 pounds= rye
.5 pounds= crystal 40 (ment to use 10L)

mashed at 158-156 for 60 min
had an OG of 1.058

added during boil-
1oz cascade @ 45 min
1oz cascade+1oz amarillo @30 min
1oz amarillo @ 20min
1oz cascade @ 10min
2oz amarillo+ 1/4oz grapefruit peel @ FWH steeped at 160 for 20 min
also added 1tsp fermax nutrient at 160

cooled to 70 and oxygenated wort
added yeast starter with 2 packets coopers ale
nice fermentation took off in about 4 or 5 hours

i wasn't going for anything specific just had a vision and wanted a nice well balanced ale not too biter, floral and tasty with a touch of sweet malty finishes.
i did-
10 pounds= US 2 row
2.5 pounds= US Wheat
2 pounds= rye
.5 pounds= crystal 40 (ment to use 10L)

mashed at 158-156 for 60 min
had an OG of 1.058

added during boil-
1oz cascade @ 45 min
1oz cascade+1oz amarillo @30 min
1oz amarillo @ 20min
1oz cascade @ 10min
2oz amarillo+ 1/4oz grapefruit peel @ FWH steeped at 160 for 20 min
also added 1tsp fermax nutrient at 160

cooled to 70 and oxygenated wort
added yeast starter with 2 packets coopers ale
nice fermentation took off in about 4 or 5 hours

So I am assuming you mean 2oz amarillo+1/4 grapefruit peel after flameout and cooled the wort to 160 the added it and steeped for 20 minutes. FWH means first wort hop meaning you are putting hops in your boil kettle as you are draining wort from your mash tun

Back