Pale Ale hop schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossBeer

Reaction score
So I found a recipe for a pretty simple pale ale that I was going to use but the brew shop was out of the hops it called for, amarillo and simcoe. So I picked up chinook and palisades as replacements, but the owner talked me into using ahtanum as well. So I was wonder if you have any suggestion as to when to add it. I was thinking of adding most of the chinook at the start of the boil for bittering, and then putting everything else in at like 15 minutes. Thoughts?

The simcoe and amarillo pale ale I'm making tomorrow is going to get first wort hopped with 0.5 oz magnum then I plan on tossing in 1 oz each amarillo and simcoe at 5 mins and at flameout. Dry hop will be with 1 oz each as well. Your plan of a bittering dose with everything else at the end sounds good.

Hop bursting is adding most if not all your hops after 20 mins for a bigger aroma and flavor. KO is adding them after you kill the boil and you can let them whirlpool for a bit before or while chilling.

So I found a recipe for a pretty simple pale ale that I was going to use but the brew shop was out of the hops it called for, amarillo and simcoe. So I picked up chinook and palisades as replacements, but the owner talked me into using ahtanum as well. So I was wonder if you have any suggestion as to when to add it. I was thinking of adding most of the chinook at the start of the boil for bittering, and then putting everything else in at like 15 minutes. Thoughts?

I like hopping APAs at 60 minutes (bittering), 15 minutes (flavoring) and 5 minutes (aroma) or flame out.

I'd go with:

Chinook 60 minutes
.5 ounce palisades 15 minutes
.5 ounce ahtanum 15 minutes
.5 ounce palisades 5 minutes
.5 ounce ahtanum 0 minutes

I LOVE ahtanum hops! That's the signature hop in Stone's APA, and I like it.

I like first wort hopping and small charges throughout then big additions at the end. IMO it makes the beer more well rounded in its hop flavor and aroma. But if youre doing extract 60m is good too :)

Hop bursting is where you get all your IBUs with late hop additions in the last 2 minutes or so.

Back