Pale Ale Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmelione

Reaction score
Im going to be brewing my first pale ale this weekend and was hoping to get some feedback on my recipe.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 41
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 7.3

Grains:
80% Maris Otter
10% Munich
5% Vienna
5% Victory

Hops:
.25oz Magnum @ 60min
1oz Mosaic @ 10min
1oz Mosaic @ 5min
1oz Mosaic @ flameout
2oz Mosaic dry hopped for 7 days.

Yeast:
Wyeast 1272

I don't know what flavors you are looking for. It's gonna make a good tasting beer. Are you after an american or english pale ale?

For a pale ale more closer to english style, you'll need to make a few adjustments, such as dropping the vienna and munich and adding a little crystal malt. You would also adjust the amount/type of hops.

Munich, Vienna, AND Victory?

You probably only need one of those, especially since you're using Maris Otter. It won't taste bad with all three of them, but I'm not sure you'll get anything as complex as you might be expecting from the combo. It's just going to taste malty and bready/biscuity and you won't really know which of those malts gave it the flavors you really liked.

What you should do is make three separate small batches, using one of those specialty malts in each batch. Then you can compare them and decide which you like best for future batches.

I think I'd agree with what signpost said. One or two of those malts can probably go. Mosaic has such a complex flavor as it is you can run the risk of all those flavors just getting muddled together, without any particular one really shining through.

Otherwise, it should be a good brew.

Thanks everyone. I think ill get rid of the victory and munich as I'm looking for a nice biscuit flavor without the sweetness.

85% Maris Otter
15% Vienna

Well, you're on this site to learn I imagine. So this is all good advice. You see, your ingredients with allow you to make beer that will taste good. But if you want to hone in on specific flavors and making beer of certain styles then I would start looking over some trusted recipes on this site. This will help you understand what ingredients go best in certain styles.
For example, you have MO and victory that are often used in english pale ales, 1272 yeast which is designed for american pale ales, then munich and vienna which are german style specialty malts. As you get more comfortable with the ingredients you certainly brew "outside the box". In fact there are no limits of what you can make. But a basis of understanding will go a long way for you.
Try looking over some recipes here by Biermuncher and Yooper to start with.

Enjoy

I don't have a big problem with your original grainbill. I agree, if you're trying to get a feel for what malts do what then it's a little over complicated but I think the beer would be fine. I also wouldn't get too hung up on the country of origin. Yooper's popular house pale has both Munich and Vienna in it, though I would classify as an APA based on hops and yeast. Lots of folks also mix base malts among styles, for example using MO in American ales. You say you're trying to avoid sweet though and of the 4 malts you listed I would say Vienna tastes the sweetest to me. Maybe try a maris otter single malt beer? Pretty much a SMaSH with just the Magnum for bittering, good way to learn the different ingredients.

Maris Otter is a nice base for a pale but probably doesn't need the extra biscuity flavor of the Victory. Vienna and Munich both add maltiness. Might be a bit much for my taste. I think the Maris and Munich might be a nice combo. Without a bit of crystal you may want to mash a little higher to get some head retention and body to stand up to the hops, perhaps 154f?

As for the hop bill, it looks good but your almost in IPA territory. Add some more Magnum and the hops may be able to stand up against your malty grist?

Or brew it like you wrote it. It could be great!

This sounds great and will be tasty for sure. IMHO, I wouldn't worry about the vienna adding too much sweetness or maltiness.

I recently did a Vienna/Mosaic SMaSH with a similar hop schedule (mosaic instead of magnum for bittering, of course), even matching your predicted IBUs exactly. As simple as the recipe is, it is one of my favorite brews in about 40 all-grain batches to date.

I mashed at 152 and used 090 and it has a nice dry finish while maintaining some subtle malty flavors. I am also a fan of MO, so no opposition to your planned malt bill of 85/15. Enjoy and report back!

Wow, thanks everyone for all the tips. I am definitely here to learn and this has helped me greatly. Appreciate all the comments! I will be sure to report back.

You'll be fine with the MO/Vienna in terms of sweetness as long you have a well attenuated beer. Get it down to around 1.012 and it'll taste great.

For what it is worth I brew a Blonde with 5 lbs MO and 5 lbs Vienna with 4oz of crystal 10 and 4 of honey Malt. This is malty goodness, I call it rich tasting. The MO and Vienna is a good malt mix that complements each other.:)

Is this too hoppy for a pale ale. I like a nice hoppy flavor but dont want it to be hop juice.

Hops:
.25oz Magnum @ 60min
1oz Mosaic @ 10min
1oz Mosaic @ 5min
1oz Mosaic @ flameout
2oz Mosaic dry hopped for 7 days.

Many may consider that IPA schedule hopping (except the bittering) but I do similar on a lot of my APA's. Sounds good to me with the MO/Vienna, I say go for it!
:mug:

Nah, that wont be too bitter. It may have the hop character of an IPA, but not the bite of bitterness, itll be smooth. Are you doing a hopstand? I'd definitely recommend it

Latest posts

Back