Paintball Tank with Pure Nirogen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 47131

Reaction score
I could really use some input and insight, as I have been researching this for a while and think I have come up with a plan... I finished my new 14 tap keezer build a few months ago and am running 11 taps with co2 and 2 with beer gas (75/25 blend). I have a third gas line for the beer gas, which I originally connected to one of the taps, which has cold brew coffee on tap (part of the negotiations with the wife was that this would always be on, as well as soda water), but by the time the keg was almost killed it was starting to get carbonated. So, I found some 16 gram BestWhip N2O whipped cream cartridges and used them with my Genuine Innovations Cornie Keg Charger. That worked for a bit, but it lost its seal and started to leak gas out when trying to pressurize the keg (perhaps due to the higher pressure) and is also a PITA for the wife to use. I have looked at the mini ball lock regulators as an option, but am concerned by the higher pressure of the N2O and also want to have a set it and forget it system for the wife.

I now am considering going with a paintball tank, mainly due to my space restrictions, as I can fit a 3 1/2" cylinder between some kegs, but could not use a regular sized nitrogen tank. I'm looking at a 62 ci high pressure (3,000 psi) tank from either Guerilla Air or Ninja, which both have a built-in regulator that drops the pressure down to 800 psi. I was then thinking about going with the Williams Mini Paintball regulator on top of the primary regulator to drop down the pressure even more. My thoughts are that utilizing this as a secondary regulator of sorts will make it safe for use and I won't have to go with a clunky high pressure regulator, which would end up being too big. I think that the Williams regulator will connect to the ASA connection on the paintball tank regulator, as its meant to direct thread onto the tank fitting, but have never really messed with paintball stuff. The only other thing that I will need to determine is if my welding supply will fill a paintball tank with straight nitrogen, as it seems like most of the paintball supplies around here only do compressed air. Any thoughts or input? Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

3e81ed_b3af5f5620844edaa3bffc2d5cd28165.jpg

D70.jpg

You can always call your local refiller and ask them. Mine is pretty picky and will not refill a bottle they don't already refill.

Does that regulator work with N2? I think I read on their sight that you can't serve above 15psi.

I'm pretty sure not, but that's why I was going with a paintball tank with a built-in high pressure regulator that drops it to 800 psi, which it is my understanding that is the pressure you get from a co2 tank. Also, being that I am only pushing coffee, I am pretty sure that I don't need more than 15-16 psi and 4-5 psi will probably be fine.

Called my gas supplier yesterday and they will not fill paintball tanks; it needs a CGA 580 fitting for Nitro. So, I think I came up with a different solution... These guys have converted a 2.5lb tank to nitrogen valves http://www.winekeeper.com/winekeeper-refillable-nitrogen-cylinder.html and although it's still slightly too large of a diameter, I could lay it on its side in the keezer and be fine. I have a gap below my 1.75 gallon kegs that hang over the hump and just measured and it should work. We shall see and confirm once I receive!

I would trade in the beer gas tank and get a 100% N2 tank and a gas blender. Then split off the N2 so that one line goes to the gas blender and the other goes to your coffee keg.

I would trade in the beer gas tank and get a 100% N2 tank and a gas blender. Then split off the N2 so that one line goes to the gas blender and the other goes to your coffee keg.

Thanks. I wish I could afford that, but from my experience, a gas blender would set me back $650 most likely. Unless you know of some cheaper? If I had gone that route from the beginning, maybe I could have justified it, but not now.

I picked up one of the older, flow control models cheap. Keep an eye on ebay and craigslist. Frequently paying to get a small N2 tank filled will add up.

Called my gas supplier yesterday and they will not fill paintball tanks; it needs a CGA 580 fitting for Nitro. So, I think I came up with a different solution... These guys have converted a 2.5lb tank to nitrogen valves http://www.winekeeper.com/winekeeper-refillable-nitrogen-cylinder.html and although it's still slightly too large of a diameter, I could lay it on its side in the keezer and be fine. I have a gap below my 1.75 gallon kegs that hang over the hump and just measured and it should work. We shall see and confirm once I receive!

I would be careful there and try to do a bit of research. You had originally said you were using beer gas (75/25 split), and I know you are not supposed to lay CO2 tanks on their side while in use. Pure nitrogen tanks are okay though as nitrogen remains a gas even under pressure. I'm really not sure how a mixed gas setup would work.

Is it not possible to just have the tanks outside the keezer? That's what I do for mine, which allows me to use full size tanks, which means less refills and less cost!

Back