Pacman Yeast - Slower Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powers

Reaction score
I'm working up a brown ale with Rogue's pacman. It was an all grain with an OG of 1.060. I haven't bothered to take a gravity reading yet, but it's day 14 and there's still bubbles from the airlock every 1 to 2 minutes. For the first week, I had the temp at 60 degrees, and now in the second week its been more like 66-68.

Does the cooler temps with this yeast result in a slower fermentation, like a lager??

In my experience, pacman yeast is slow and steady at 60 degrees, but much quicker at 65-66. (I never went any higher than that with that yeast.)

If you didn't make a large starter, it could be slower to get going and finish up, I'd imagine.

in my haste that week, i neglected to get a starter going and since I had only a sunday window to brew, thought what the hell. i typically make starters with wyeast activators, but alas...so the fermentation did have a slow start, about 18 hours.

revvy, i have to disagree that bubbles are a good indicator of one thing. the bubbles from this beer smell wonderful and tell me its going to be a delightfully nutty brown ale!

thanks for the advice, i'll check the gravity after work today!

You underpitched and are fermenting cool, it will take a while and may underattenuate just a bit...warming it up sure helped I bet.

Just to put into perspective, I made a 2 litre pacman starter and pitched into 1.070 porter the other day...it was down to 1.016 after two days at 65 degrees with oxygen and nutrient.

Does the cooler temps with this yeast result in a slower fermentation, like a lager??
I once closed my fridge leaving the therm probe shut outside the fridge door. Needless to say, the fridge just kept pumping away and cooled the primary down into the 40's for about 20 hours and the Pacman just kept going. I would just take a reading and see where you're at.

You underpitched and are fermenting cool, it will take a while and may underattenuate just a bit...warming it up sure helped I bet.

Just to put into perspective, I made a 2 litre pacman starter and pitched into 1.070 porter the other day...it was down to 1.016 after two days at 65 degrees with oxygen and nutrient.

wow! i'm frustrated with myself about not making the starter. just was lazy and in a hurry. i did use oxygen and nutrient, so the starter made all the difference :(

I once closed my fridge leaving the therm probe shut outside the fridge door. Needless to say, the fridge just kept pumping away and cooled the primary down into the 40's for about 20 hours and the Pacman just kept going. I would just take a reading and see where you're at.

i'm going to take my reading in a few moments, after a little dinner ;)

she weighed in at 1.016. i was going off a mish-mash of recipes to approximate a rogue hazelnut brown nectar, without as much hazelnut, as per my wife's order. the gravity of 1.060 was a little toward the high end for a brown ale, but perhaps that's not out of tune with an american brown from the pacific northwest. the 1.016 seems a little high, but i won't be disappointed by a full bodied beer. the smell and small taste i nabbed checking the gravity are encouraging. i'll give it through saturday and another check, then rack to secondary.

thanks for the all the advice!

Back