Pacman Troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Csuho

Reaction score
Just wondering if any1 else has had troubles with washed Pacman? This is the 2nd batch that it has stopped high. 1st was Jamil's evil twin recipe that it stopped at 1.020 from 1.066 from a 1L starter on stir plate. 2nd batch is a cascade smash from 1.056 to 1.016 from a 1L starter on stir plate. Just wondering if any1 else has had this kinda trouble from it. I did do 2 cream ales with it that went from low 50s to under 10 heck I know I have had Notty drop to almost 0 before. Just wondering if I am the only 1 with these issues.

Oh this is all still from the 1st batch I got 3 mason jars from the 1st smack pack so it wasnt like it was 5 to 6 generations down the road.

To me it seems for a 1.066 beer 1 liter is to small of a starter perhaps. How much slurry are you putting into that 1 liter starter?

I have had the opposite problem. I ferment in the low-mid 60s, then step it up to upper 60s after 2 weeks. My Dead Guy clone was supposed to stop around 1.016 and after a week it is at 1.012.

I attributed this to my mash temps and efficiencies...have you looked at those aspects of your batches?

mr. malty says 1.14L with the stir plate. when i seen it crashed there was 300-400ml of yeast in the bottom. that might be my problem i am not sure but i think i am done with this batch i am not gonna save it.

mash temp on this last batch was 154 batch be4 was i think the same. my efficiencies have been in the 80% range.

time will tell i guess i will check it again here in a week i just upped the ferm chamber temp to 68.

I use washed pacman for about %75 of my beers and for anything 1.060 to 1.080 I pitch a full one gallon starter. I have tried mashing as high as 158 and my beer always, always finish super dry and super quick. You are likely not pitching enough healthy yeast, and I have found that pacman really like yeast nutrient and O2.

For example, 1.070 porter, mashed at 155, finished 1.012 after 3 days at 68 degrees. This is 3rd generation washed pacman from a bottle of stout.

My guess is that your fermentation conditions and yeast pitch rates are the culprit.

permo that could be it. I do have some fermax that I got from rebel brewer i am still unsure how much to use i get mixed responses for it 1tsp per batch to 1tsp per gallon.

Back