pacman substitute in hazelnut brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkinThailand

Reaction score
I will be brewing up a version of Rogue's Hazelnut Brown, but the recipe calls for Pacman yeast which is not available where I live (in Thailand). I have access to most liquid yeasts (but not all obviously) and most/all dry yeasts.

What would be a good substitute? The yeasts I am considering and have access to are:
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale/ wlp005 British Ale
Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Wyeast 1098 British Ale/ wlp007 English Dry Ale
Wlp 002 (this one i actually have from an overbuilt starter on a previous brew)

I am thinking a British style yeast because I like British brown ales. Anyone with experience with 1 or more of these yeasts, or with brewing this beer, please share some knowledge with me.

Thanks for any advice

I've used Pacman a fair amount, it's quite neutral and a good attenuator. IME 007 would be pretty close. If you want more English character though you may want to go with something else.

yeah +1 007 is the closest to pacman

I recommend WLP006 for a english brown.

This might not be helpful, but Wyeast 1469 is amazing in a brown ale. It isn't similar at all to Pacman, but it is amazing for malty styles. Leaves a great clean and chewy malt flavor behind.

Thanks again for all the advice. I am liking the sound of both WLP006 and Wyeast 1469, though I'm not sure I can get 006 right now.

BigMack - I like the sound of 1469, but I'm worried about this brown ale ending up too sweet, and from my quick search just now I saw that some folks aren't getting the best attenuation from this yeast. Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks again for all the advice. I am liking the sound of both WLP006 and Wyeast 1469, though I'm not sure I can get 006 right now.

BigMack - I like the sound of 1469, but I'm worried about this brown ale ending up too sweet, and from my quick search just now I saw that some folks aren't getting the best attenuation from this yeast. Any thoughts/advice?

It is a lower attenuating yeast, but I wouldn't say it leaves things overly sweet. The Nut Brown I made went from 1.051 to 1.012 (mashed at 153) which was slightly higher attenuation than predicted in Beersmith. It leaves an amazing mouthfeel and really compliments darker brews, especially brown ales I think.

It gets the same attenuation that WLP 002 gets, which is an incredibly popular strain. I personally wouldn't worry about it being too sweet. Just my $0.02.

Cheers :mug:

Well I think I may be going with the 1469, thanks for the advice big mack. I'll let you know how it turns out

Back