Pacman = blowoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ill.literate

Reaction score
Greetings all...

Should I use a blowoff on this IIPA that I'm starting either tonight or tomorrow? Reason I'm asking is because I'm using Pacman yeast. Will do primary fermentation in a 6.5 gallon bucket then rack to a 5 gal BB in a week or two.

Recipe is as follows :
2 pounds extra light DME
6.6 pounds pale LME
2 pounds Crystal Malt 20L
1 pound Munich Malt 10L
2 ounces Summit hops (60 mins)
1.5 ounces Simcoe hops (45 mins)
1.5 ounces Centennial hops (30 mins)
1.5 ounces Cascade hops (2 mins)
1 ounce Cascade (dry hopped 14 days)
1 ounce Centennial (dry hopped 10 days)
Pacman yeast
Estimated O.G. 1.068
Estimated F.G. 1.017
Estimated ABV 6.6 %
IBU 95.0
SRM 12.3

Thoughts? We made Uncle Charlie's Goat Scrotum Ale two weeks ago and when we racked it last week we found out the krausen went all the way to the bottom of the lid.

That's why I'm asking.

We hope to make our first AG batch, an Irish Red, on this cake in a couple of weeks.

Wouldn't hurt to do a blow off tube. Pacman can produce a pretty active fermentation. When pitching your Irish Red on the yeast cake in a couple of weeks, Definitely use a blow off tube!

I have a Dead Guy clone in primary right now. While it was active quickly, I didn't need a blowoff. I was also fermenting at the proper 60F temp. I could imagine having problems at higher temps. Can't hurt to use one though.

My Pacman Rogue Mocha Porter fermented quickly and the krausen didn't rise more than a couple inches.

I always use a blow off set up no matter what. Every time Ive used Pac-Man, I get a very robust initial ferment. Of course I always make a 1600ml starter, and the ferment has been great. It lives up to its name, as this stuff really goes to town on the sugars, and primary ferment times are quick.

On another note, in my opinion, blow off set ups are great insurances against clogged airlocks, overflows and in cases of actual blow off, allows for the removal of bits and pieces of hop material and such. I use 6.5 gallon carboys for my primary ferment, and use the blow off set up every single time.

I also still have 4 packs of Pac-Man left :)

My previous three batches with Pacman were vigorous, but the krausen only rose a couple of inches and did not reach the air lock. This past weekend, I brewed an IPA with a 2.5L starter and the krausen was heading for the top of the carboy fast. I quickly replaced with a blow off tube. This last batch was by far the most active the Pacman got during fermentation.

I would use a blow off. At least you won't have to worry about a clogged airlock if it does rise too high.

Back