Packaging sours (kegging vs bottling)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShemRahBoo

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure something out and reading to no end. I do various mixed fermentations, some shorter some long term, etc... Rather then bottle condition I really enjoy the ease of force carbing in a keg and bottling via counter pressure filler. This allows me to dial in the carbonation easily. Also I enjoy drinking some of the batch, bottling whatever I feel like (typically half or a little more), and finishing the keg on tap. I really get familiar with what I made this way and have some stashed for further development.

My question is regarding the lack of true bottle conditioning. Will my bottles this way still develop and age like a bottle conditioned counterpart. I should still have bacteria and yeast in the bottles i would assume. And as long as my beer was at terminal should have no points dropping and no over carbed bottle bombs. I will miss the bottle refermentation but from what I understand a lot of commercial beers are refermented with wine or champagne yeast. So it's not like the brett or the bugs are responsible for this bottle carbonation.

Any thoughts/input on this. I like this process but want to know if its going to effect how these age down the road.

Back