Pacific Gem experience/advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozniaka

Reaction score
So I was given an 8oz bag of pacific gem to try out since my friend didn't like the tangy blackberry/oak flavors.
I decided to clean out leftover grains and make an American/Belgian/NZ IIPA.
Any thoughts on what to expect? recipe is as follows:

Steep-
8oz Aromatic Malt
6oz crystal 40
6oz carapils
4oz Special B
Boil-
1lb light DME
4oz Amber DME
10lbs Breiss Golden LME (3.3lbs at 60 / 6.6lbs at 15min)
.5oz Pac Gem @60
1oz Pac Gem @45
1oz Pac Gem @20
1oz Pac Gem @5
Pitch-
2pkg Lallemand West Coast Ale with 1/2tsp Wyeast Nutrient @ 68.
OG was 1.090 after 60min

I've seen some people using Pac Gem in stouts but surprisingly little reference to IPAs. I love bitter beer and am prepared for the 100+ IBU's, anyone else think the Special B and Aromatic malt will compliment the blackberry/oak profile? Or is this just going to be a mess?

So I was given an 8oz bag of pacific gem to try out since my friend didn't like the tangy blackberry/oak flavors.

Steep-

8oz Aromatic Malt

6oz crystal 40

6oz carapils

4oz Special B

Boil-

1lb light DME

4oz Amber DME

.5oz Pac Gem @60

1oz Pac Gem @45

1oz Pac Gem @20

1oz Pac Gem @5

Pitch-

OG was 1.090 after 60min

I've seen some people using Pac Gem in stouts but surprisingly little reference to IPAs. I love bitter beer and am prepared for the 100+ IBU's, anyone else think the Special B and Aromatic malt will compliment the blackberry/oak profile? Or is this just going to be a mess?

Steep-

8oz Aromatic Malt

6oz crystal 40

6oz carapils

4oz Special B

Boil-

1lb light DME

4oz Amber DME

.5oz Pac Gem @60

1oz Pac Gem @45

1oz Pac Gem @20

1oz Pac Gem @5

Pitch-

OG was 1.090 after 60min

10 pounds of LME will be a lot to get stirred in @ flame out to keep the color light as possible. Besides being quite a bit to start with. Use some 3 pounds of DME in the boil for hop additions, as it's less effected by maillard reactions. You'll need at least 2 packs of yeast for a big beer like that.
Pacific gem is a 13% to 15% AA hop, used primarily for bittering @ 60 minutes. The flavors/aromas are light. I used it on my Maori IPA with all NZ hops. I used .40 oz for bittering in it. Between bittering, flavor & dry hop, I got 69;4 IBU's. Dry hop lends no flavor or bittering though. I just mentioned it since I used 2ozs each of the flavor/aroma hops. 1.3ozs each in the boil & .7oz ion the 7 day dry hop. You could just use 1lb, 4oz plain light DME with the golden LME for that amber/orange color. You should get the same gravity & ABV%.

Thanks Unionrdr, I was just cleaning out he leftovers I had on hand... 1lb Light DME, 4oz Amber DME. Same with 8oz, 6oz, 4oz of Special Grains, just using up opened packages.
I boiled 3lbs of the LME at start for better hop utilization, and other 7lbs in the last 15minutes basically just to pasteurize.
How clean/light was the flavor from the PacGem when you used it? Noticeable at all, or just bitter?

I used it @ 60 minutes for bittering, but it gave a light aroma & flavor of oaked blackberries to my nose & taste buds. Cleaning out leftover grains can be an interesting experience. Carry on...:mug:

Back