PAC man yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm fairly certain they are not as Pacman is a proprietary strain of Rogue Brewery. Wyeast does sell it though.

Pacman is a beast I use it a lot and have it on the stir plate now. I think Wyeast is the only one that makes it.

Pacman is the most forgiving yeast ever. You never have to do anything but keep it <70 it will taste good, and always attenuate high. I had to pitch some slurry that just finished a cider ferment as an emergency measure and it still got like %80 attenuation in an all grain wort

It's the easiest yeast I've ever bottle cultured as well. As long as you start small it's always awake in like a day.

I've read in HBT that pac man is a Chico. Bry-97 from Lallemond is supposedly pacman. I use is often and it is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've read in HBT that pac man is a Chico. Bry-97 from Lallemond is supposedly pacman. I use is often and it is a beast.

Rva has a Chico (claims to be sierra Nevada) and a pacman (claims rouge) the specs seam real close to each other. I'm fermenting a cascade pale ale as we speak with their pacman. It's ripping right through it, no starter, (rva claims 2x the cell count) but it's was chugging rite along within 4 hours. Maby I'll try the Chico next on the same recipe and see how similar they are.

Slightly off-topic, but I have a fresh hop (backyard) IPA fermenting now with the RVA Hoptopper (heady topper) yeast. First time using the RVA. Yeast & so far very impressed!!

Haha your welcome. I was very satisfied with the pacman from rva. Just racked to a corny to cold crash and secondary after one week in primary and it tasted excellent. No off flavors just clean. 1.048 to 1.006 in one week. Even more off topic they are currently harvesting strains from local areas like an old tree behind my lhbs. The weekend brewer is doing a all va ingredient contest. There is a local maltster too. The brew I just did with the pacman was with their 6 row.

Lol yea there's a decent amount of small job shops around. There's the Rolls Royse plant that just opened up. I'm a tool and die maker an work at the only tool making shop in va. I know smart career choice right...

I know smart career choice right...
Depends on how you play it. A good friend in the trade is my age and is retiring comfortably. Me . . . it's Sunday, I have fresh Pacman yeast that I want to get into wort, but I'll be in the shop finishing up a job for J&J. It'll probably sit on some engineers desk for a week, but they HAVE to have it Monday. :(

Lol yea I know how that is a job will spend two months in design then they want a finished plastic injection mold in 2 weeks... did you order the pacman from rva?

Just saw your above post about your conversation with rva srry. You won't be disappointed. I fermented at about 60 ambient and it's very clean. What you putting it in.

Its not the same. Chico is good at mid to upper 60s where Pacman is good and very clean at lower temps like 60, and can go even lower. Rogue Dead guy is a "Maibock" but they use Pacman which is an ale yeast. Because Pacman is so clean they can use it for a maibock instead of using a lager yeast.

Also the WLP090 SD super yeast is not the same either. If anything its closer to chico yeast than pacman. WLP090 to me is very similar to Chico but just better. Ferments at the same temps, faster fermentation, flocs well, attenuates well, and is cleaner than Chico.

+1 one harvesting from dead guy ale out of half gallon growler. I thought it was a loss then on day three it went into beast mode. I am getting ready to pitch on a beer for a bigger harvest.

Latest posts

Back