Ozarka Water in Houston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tx_Tuna

Reaction score
In Houston we have ridiculous Bicarb levels and can really only brew IPA or darker beers with 'tap' water. Usually this is not a problem as I have never been a Bud Light fan...However my wife has asked me to brew a light beer for a little get together next month. We decided to brew Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde.

I am trying to dig up a water chemistry report for our MUD district; however it is taking some time. I do believe that our water is similar to Houston water as the PH was alkaline (test strips) and the unfiltered water tastes like a mouthful of garbage. As this water is no good for such a light grain bill I was thinking of brewing with Ozarka water. (Link to Water Quality: ).

After reviewing the report it looks like the spring water needs so modification.
Ahh the pain! I have never messed with water chemistry before. I have read Palmer, played with that great Java nomograph the aussies have, used EZ water and have played with Brewers Friend water chemistry calculator.

This is what I am entertaining:

Add 5g of Gypsum, 2g of Epsom and 5g of NaCl (no I)

This clears the brewersfriend's water chemistry check. Additionally, the EZ water calculator has me within Palmers recommendations.

Unfortunately the nomograph plots an SRM of 5; however the rest appears good.

Here is the question I pose to those who are much more knowledgeable than me: Am I missing something or am I good to go?

Thanks for any help - Tuna

Back