Oxygenation Kit 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smAllGrain

Reaction score
Is it worth it/needed? $50ish

For my Ales I have been just shaking the carboy/bucket. seems to be working fine.

Want to do my first Lager. Buy O2 kit or just shake the carboy? Or what other methods do you guys/gals use?

I use the O2 stone with regulator for disposable tanks from morebeer.com.

Stone
Regulator
Sanitary Filter

Got the O2 tank for like 8 bucks at Home Depot. Works great and my yeasties are happy and healthy (or at least thats what they tell me :D)

Definitely worth it. I would never brew without it. Plus, shaking 5-7 gallons of wort gets old quickly.

I thought about going this route when I originally set mine up. Do you use the 2 or 5 micron stone?

Jeez not a clue, I bought it like 10 years ago!! I may still have the receipt though, I will go look. And yes I am a hoarder..

Just checked, no I don't have that receipt anymore, I got it from Austin homebrew supply..

Ok according to their website it is a 2 micron stone, the kit looks the same as the one I have!

Last edited:
Jeez not a clue, I bought it like 10 years ago!! I may still have the receipt though, I will go look. And yes I am a hoarder..

Just checked, no I don't have that receipt anymore, I got it from Austin homebrew supply..

Ok according to their website it is a 2 micron stone, the kit looks the same as the one I have!

No worries haha. I was just curious because when I was originally considering my options, morebeer recommended the 5 micron stone for pumps and I wasnt sure if anyone had experience with the 5 vs the 2 on a pump

How long do recommend you blast your wort with o2 for?

I typically give a beers like my IPA's (1.060-1.068 range) a 30-40 second shot while ive gone up to a ~70-80 seconds for really high gravity beers like my triple IPA or Choco Milk stout (~1.100)

Definitely worth it. I would never brew without it. Plus, shaking 5-7 gallons of wort gets old quickly.

Agreed. Before I started brewing, I decided I wanted one, along with an IC to make brew day even easier.

I figured, less places to screw up = better beer. :)

Back