Oxygen from One-Step cleanser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygent73

Reaction score
Hello all,
Forgive me if this has already been covered (couldn't find an answer by searching). I know that most of us take great efforts to add oxygen to our wort and take even greater efforts to keep it out of our finished beer. Since oxygen is one of the by-products of the break down of One-Step, does it stand to reason that it should be avoided post fermentation? Also what other implications might there be; increased HSA if used on mash tun etc.?

Hello all,
Forgive me if this has already been covered (couldn't find an answer by searching). I know that most of us take great efforts to add oxygen to our wort and take even greater efforts to keep it out of our finished beer. Since oxygen is one of the by-products of the break down of One-Step, does it stand to reason that it should be avoided post fermentation? Also what other implications might there be; increased HSA if used on mash tun etc.?

OK. One useful byproduct. What are the remaining byproducts though?

Huh, what?????????

Whatever you've overthought and decided to worry about...Don't. Your beer's not that weak and wimpy. Besides, HSA is a myth to the homebrewer....not something that is really worried about.

Maybe there is a full moon out tonight...

I think it was a week ago....

But I can understand why the OP couldn't find anything by searching on this topic...because there is nothing there.;)

We're not intentionally trying to be mean, but we just have no idea what you are getting at with the question.

Sorry,

Perhaps my question is either unclear (or foolish). But it was my understanding that One-step is a no-rinse cleanser. The reason a brewer need not rinse out the remaing cleanser after cleaning,(again to my knowledge), was that one-step becomes hydrogen peroxide which when exposed to light breaks down into water and oxygen. If that is accurate, than ipso-facto oxygen is being intoduced into the wort, beer, mash etc. Help me to see where my logic is flawed?

And for the record Revvy, I'm not worring about anything just trying to get some clearity.

Okay. Yes. But not in sufficient quantities for what you are thinking from the residual solution coating the walls of the system. It may be no rinse. But it ain't yet a no-drain solution. And yeast need 8ppm+ O2 to do their sex thang.

Once when I was drunk, I thought of adding oxyclean free to wort to oxygenate it. Luckily, when I brew I'm not that drunk.

Thanks Gila. I figured it was purely a matter of quantity. I know that what tends to be the most dificult to drain is the densest material which sinks to the bottom (i.e. unabsorbed particulate matter). But, I didn't know how much oxygen is created by whats left. Thanks for the answer!

Latest posts

Back