Oxyclean...amazing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
ok...so i've never used the stuff till last night. i just bought some better bottles and reading about them people said not to use a brush, but to use oxyclean free. that stuff worked AWESOME. i put about 3/4 scoop in my carboy and filled it up, about how much do you normally use when cleaning a 6 gallon better bottle?

so what else can i use this for in the brewery? i nomrally use starstan when cleaning my keg lines, any other uses?

It will work well on your BK, soaking tubing, etc. I use it for pretty much everything cleaning wise, rinse well and hit with star san. The "scoop" varies depending on the size of the bucket. But I use about 4 tablespoons per carboy and about the same amount in my 10g BK.

fo a search for oxyclean. You'll see what you're lookin for. It is pretty amazing. This forum turned me onto it too awhile back.

It will work well on your BK

This is true if your boil kettle is stainless. If it is aluminum then it will turn the pot black. I believe this is the way the aluminum reacts with the oxygen in the cleaner. For the boil kettle all it really needs a a nice hot water spray anyways to get clean in my case. There is nothing wrong about using oxiclean on your boil kettle if it is stainless though.

This is true if your boil kettle is stainless. If it is aluminum then it will turn the pot black. I believe this is the way the aluminum reacts with the oxygen in the cleaner. For the boil kettle all it really needs a a nice hot water spray anyways to get clean in my case. There is nothing wrong about using oxiclean on your boil kettle if it is stainless though.

I have an aluminum BK and I have to disagree. I clean it with oxyclean everytime and havent had any issues. I generally fill it up all the way and let it soak for about 30 min, while I am cleaning everything else up. then just rinse

I have an aluminum BK and I have to disagree. I clean it with oxyclean everytime and havent had any issues. I generally fill it up all the way and let it soak for about 30 min, while I am cleaning everything else up. then just rinse

There are plenty of conflicting posts about aluminum pots turning black and others that are perfectly fine with Oxiclean. I have no idea why some people are fine but other have big problems, it might be the concentration of the cleaner, maybe the thickness of the current passive layer. I don't know, I was just giving a warning that some people have had problems mixing aluminum and oxiclean in the past.

I think he should change his username... to "Evan?" :D

Now, onto the real topic. I use about 3/4 scoop in all my BBs just like you did. Works wonders.

Now, onto the real topic. I use about 3/4 scoop in all my BBs just like you did. Works wonders.

about 3/4 scoop for a 5gal soak works great. That reminds me, I need to give my new keggel a soak...

I don't have any aluminum in my brewery. PBW does work better, but I am cheap, and buy 15# of oxiclean at a time for the laundry....

I used it in a keg once, i will never do that again. After a week of soaking it caused a weird pitting on the inside of the keg. It was not a true "Pit" as another week of PBW got ride of it. Now I only use PBW and B-brite for my cleaning needs.

good to know about not using it in a keg. i haven't looked this topic for a few days and see some post were removed, lol.

I've used it in cleaning SS corny kegs and never had any pitting issues. I do make sure to have it fully dissolved though. I also have a water softener so I don't have any issues with it leaving a white film on anything.

for a cheaper alternative that is more effective, try should oxy powder. It is around 75% percarbonate while oxyclean is around 55%. Plus the shout is about 2.67 a pound and oxyclean is more around 4/lb.
OTOH 100% percarbonate is ever cheaper yet but much harder to find.

How many time do you guys rinse out with this? Is it like bleach where it takes 10 times or will a couple good ones get it?

I use Oxyclean on my aluminium pot all the time, but I only use around 1/2 scoop. Never had any problems.
I also use it to clean SS, tubing, my wash etc. It really is a great product.
I soak in hot water from the tap, and rinse twice with hot water, and once with regular water. I do make certain I make a lot of contact with the water by shaking it around.
Hope this helps.

I would say be careful with Oxyclean and flexible tubing. I soaked all my brew stuff for a week (part laziness, part craziness with work) and everything came out nice and clean except for the siphoning tube. It developed a pretty nasty haze. The haze cleared up a little with Starsan, but it's still unsettling to think of what may have penetrated into the plastic. The racking cane and bottle filler were fine, so I think this is only any issue with soft plastics.

for a cheaper alternative that is more effective, try should oxy powder. It is around 75% percarbonate while oxyclean is around 55%. Plus the shout is about 2.67 a pound and oxyclean is more around 4/lb.
OTOH 100% percarbonate is ever cheaper yet but much harder to find.

Just read this Cracked article "7 High Tech Products and their cheap-ass-ingredients". (love Cracked, one of the funniest sites on the net. Also be aware there are swear words and pictures of scantily clad ladies if you're reading from work. But i digress...). According to that article, "OxiClean is actually sodium percarbonate, a standard cleaning chemical that's been around just short of forever. You can buy it in bulk at most chemical supply companies or pool supply stores where it's sold to help balance your pool's pH"

So there you go! If you're an oxyclean fiend maybe a large pail of it from a pool supply store would be worth your while.

I use Oxiclean with good results and no issues on on my SS kettles, corny's, Better Bottles, Glass growlers, beer bottles (clean + label remover).

It is also an excellent stain remover for organic stains. I was pretty impressed with the job it did on a wine stain on the carpet that had been there for about a month.

Graet product for the price

I would say be careful with Oxyclean and flexible tubing. I soaked all my brew stuff for a week (part laziness, part craziness with work) and everything came out nice and clean except for the siphoning tube. It developed a pretty nasty haze. The haze cleared up a little with Starsan, but it's still unsettling to think of what may have penetrated into the plastic. The racking cane and bottle filler were fine, so I think this is only any issue with soft plastics.

Same thing happened to me, but other than that I love it.

On the subject of aluminium pots. I never had a problem with short term soakings but if you think well I'll let it sit for a few days and get to it when I can you will have black pots.(guess how I know)

It takes awhile to oxidize it but it will.

Other than that it works great on almost all other things.

Funny... I've never found a way to clean a soft tube that didn't involve ending with a haze. I've tried bleach, One Step, PBW, pressurized hot water, and Oxy. Always the same result, junk gone from hose, but haze remains.

It's most noticeable in my blow-off tubes. I attribute the difference to the fact that they get to soak for 2-3 days, while the siphon tubes get much more casual treatment.

It's happened 100% of the time so far. And, like you, the haze unsettles me. It scrapes off with a fingernail, so I replace BOTs nearly every batch. Adds $20 to the cost. :(

$20 for a blow off tube? WTF? Go to your local big box hardware store and find the bulk tube aisle.

Even then, soak your tubing in water to loosen the crud, and blast it out at the faucet. I don't think I've ever had to use severe cleaning agents.

$20 for a blow off tube? WTF? Go to your local big box hardware store and find the bulk tube aisle.

Even then, soak your tubing in water to loosen the crud, and blast it out at the faucet. I don't think I've ever had to use severe cleaning agents.

That's where I buy them! Maybe it's misleading, since I always do 2 batches, I'm buying 7 ft at at time.

My BOTs always end up seriously cruddy. I;ve tried high pressure water, but it doesn't do the trick. Even tried running a string thru and using that to pull a scouring pad. Still didn;t get rid of the haze afterward.

I just soak my BOT in OxiClean, then rinse and then soak in StarSan and it is still clear. I have used the same one for about 3 years.

I used to use OxyClean but the problems with residues are kind of annoying, PBW is like oxyclean on crack without any residue, a simple rinse with water and its clean clean clean! Plus it doesn't bleach bottle labels during removal like OxyClean does.

Back