Oxy clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1

Don't use that knock-off from Sun....leaves a bad film behind.

I've used Sun many times to clean my equipment and I have never had any film left behind. Sun/Oxy appear to be identical ingredients on the package, and on top of that both are a cleaner, not a sanitizer, so no matter which one I use, it gets a very thorough rinsing with hot water to ensure no residue is left behind.

I use 1 scoop per 10 gallons. It does take a much longer soak but it still gets everything really slimy. When I used 1:5, it seemed like it took a lot more rinsing to get all the residue off. I would rather soak longer and rinse less.

All sinks and counters are washed, rinsed twince, cleansed with oxyclean solution,rinsed twince, then sprayed with isopropyl. The sinks are then rinsed and are ready for star san solution. I wash my hands with the oxy solution too, then dry them, isopropyl them, glove up, isopropyl and dip in star san sink prior to approaching any wort/beer after boil.

:eek:

I suddenly feel like I'm sittin in a pile of filth...

Barneygumble,

I have no issue with your process even though I personally think it may be a bit excessive.

HOWEVER, I would seriously look into the Isopro step in regard to your hands. I get that you feel it works for you but as a person who has seen my grandfather's defatted hands from regular contact with several sources of alcohol I can assure you it isn't a pleasant condition. Feel free to look it up (Defatting) if you'd like. Gas/Kerosene/etc is much more dangerous on this front granted but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the others will do it as well. Personally, I'm not even enamored with the public school system's infatuation with hand sanitizers now a days.

OK, I was buzzed when I opened up. I am soooo sorry I did. I am over excessive with sanitation. But the pile ons can, in the wonderful words of Bill Belichick, GFY.

I said it was mostly psychological.

I was a soak in star san, dip my hands kinda guy too. Then one day, before I moved here, I was havin a shared brew day with a close friend, neighbor, and best brew buddy. The SWMBO was there too, hangin with us on a warm spring day in the driveway.

The guy reaches in, and goes to town. Right past the belt, and down and dirty. BIIIG scratch. THEN!! he grabs his autosiphon and hose, and siphons his batch into primary, without dipping his hands. :O

My SWMBO is an IV tech, and I asked her as soon as he left, how she gloves up. I've done it ever since.

I never drank another of his brews since, and I never brewed with him again,after that. He's still my friend, but I will not eat or drink anything of his any more.

I tried to infer why I glove up with humor. Now you all know. I dont care about infection, I aint gonna drink any beer by any guy who doesnt glove up. Pros are supposed to use gloves by statute in this state. It helps me sleep thinking that this is happening, even if I have my doubts.

There it is. I cant help it. If you saw that you prolly would too.

Deal.

Lol.

I know I sanitize more than most, but not much more than you should. Wash, cleanse, sanitize. No biggie. Rinses are to remove the cleaners. As far as gloving up, I'll say it again, and throw this out to every woman on this board. Look at those fingernails, and really think where they've been. I dont wanna drink beer from any guy who doesn't glove up.

Ladies, how far off am I here? lol.

For me, I would not be able to drink any beer you brew. You use latex. I'm allergic. And if you don't disclose that to people, you're risking a pretty bad reaction.

All my ink was done with non-latex sterile gloves. My doctors use them as well. Yes, they're more expensive, but latex allergies are cumulative--you could develop one.

The More You Know...

I find the constant starsan dipping gives me really dry skin, cracking around the nails, etc.

OK, I was buzzed when I opened up. I am soooo sorry I did. I am over excessive with sanitation. But the pile ons can, in the wonderful words of Bill Belichick, GFY.

I said it was mostly psychological.

I recommend you get over the idea that anyone here is picking on your process. I am, and I believe others are, taking exception to the fact that you claimed, more than once, that people that weren't doing what you were were half-assing things. That's where the problem was. :p

All sinks and counters are washed, rinsed twince, cleansed with oxyclean solution,rinsed twince, then sprayed with isopropyl. The sinks are then rinsed and are ready for star san solution. I wash my hands with the oxy solution too, then dry them, isopropyl them, glove up, isopropyl and dip in star san sink prior to approaching any wort/beer after boil.

I really don't intend to dogpile, but just to clarify what some others have said, there's nothing wrong with your cleaning/sanitation, but it is more than necessary. Since you're wearing gloves, all of that hand washing isn't going to make a difference for your beer. However, it's going to mess your hands up really bad. I can't put my hands in oxyclean solution without them getting dried out terribly; to follow it up with isopropyl is just going to exasperate the problem. I use nitrile gloves (NOT LATEX) and soak them for 30 seconds in star san before touching anything that might come into contact with postboil wort. Gloves are great for me because I can wash and sanitize them frequently without worrying about nasties on my hands surviving the wash process, nor having to worry about screwing up my hands with all of those chemicals.

A set of reusable nitrile gloves will last you a very long time, I use them whenever I'm brewing, and even if I'm just delabeling bottles or cleaning up equipment after brewing.

I don't personally find Nitrile gloves to be that much more expensive than Latex if at all where I live. And the cause of the Latex allergies IIRC was the powdered latex inside old gloves which I thought they weren't supposed to use anymore? I thought they had switched to talc or starch or something because of that issue. Either way, I just avoid Latex to be safe but I admittedly don't use mine for this particular purpose.

Also barney, I'd point out that some of us weren't piling on but moreso concerned about your poor hands after that kind of process. I kind of agree with a latter poster who pointed out aside from basic washing why overly sanitize your hands with harmful chemicals when they're going to be inside the protection of a set of gloves anyway? Other than that do what makes you happy. That said, my grandfather did his in open crocks without even cheesecloth covering the top of them and had zero issues. Yes, there were probably a few fruitflies here or there but tbh, as they're frequent carriers of the yeasts I fail to see the problem. Crotch beer on the other hand... Well, that's just bad form in anyone's book. Reminds me of the fishgut wines over in Cali.

Latest posts

Back