Oxidation vs. aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about the difference between the two, is aeration the intended introduction of oxygen to the wort prior to pitching yeast to provide the yeast with the necessary oxygen to begin fermentation, whereas oxidation is the unwanted introduction of oxygen after fermentation has ended which causes the beer to spoil?

Oxidation goes a little deeper. Oxidation is the off flavors caused by unwanted oxygen introduced at ANY point of the brewing process. Its been pretty much proven that on a homebrew level, oxidation on the hot side is a non issue. That being said, I'd refrain from splashing around the mash and introducing oxygen into the hot wort as much as possible. Oxygenation simply refers to introducing oxygen for yeast to use. Since the yeast utilize it, there should be none left over to cause oxidation off flavors.

Oxidation is a huge concern to commercial brewers. It creates off flavors and significantly decreases shelf life. While we can turn our beer around quickly, they have to package and send out to stores. The conditions on trucks and in stores are sometimes less than ideal, and oxidation flavors can quickly manifest themselves. On a homebrew level, you are likely to drink all of your beer before oxidation off flavors occur. It is still important not to splash your wort around after fermentation has completed.

Yeast need oxygen when they are first inoculated (introduced) into your wort so that they can undergo aerobic respiration. This is the stage in which the yeast cells grow and reproduce. When all the oxygen is used up in your wort, they begin fermentation (anaerobic), of which by-products include alcohol and carbon dioxide. The only time you want to aerate your beer is just before you pitch the your yeast. Otherwise, the possibility of oxidation can occur, which is a chemical reaction between ions in your beer. As mentioned, this can produce off flavors if too much oxidation occurs.

Oxidation goes a little deeper. Oxidation is the off flavors caused by unwanted oxygen introduced at ANY point of the brewing process. Its been pretty much proven that on a homebrew level, oxidation on the hot side is a non issue. That being said, I'd refrain from splashing around the mash and introducing oxygen into the hot wort as much as possible. Oxygenation simply refers to introducing oxygen for yeast to use. Since the yeast utilize it, there should be none left over to cause oxidation off flavors.

Novice homebrewer here. I'm brewing a wheat beer and when I transferred the wort to the fermenter I put two gallons in first and splashed it around. The wort was probably somewhere around 110-120 F. Then I poured the rest in and added cold water to bring it to the 5 gallon mark. Any thoughts on how this will effect the outcome?

Novice homebrewer here. I'm brewing a wheat beer and when I transferred the wort to the fermenter I put two gallons in first and splashed it around. The wort was probably somewhere around 110-120 F. Then I poured the rest in and added cold water to bring it to the 5 gallon mark. Any thoughts on how this will effect the outcome?

you'll be fine

Latest posts

Back