Oxidation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITJava

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I'm a first time brewer and am nearing the end of my first batch. I have found tons of wonderful information here that has helped me make a, so far, pretty good tasting first batch :mug:. My cider has already been racked and cold crashed and now I am getting ready to bottle. I had originally just gotten a pair of half gallon jugs to store the cider in but have begun to worry about oxidation after reading more into it. Is storing the cider in something like that going to cause problems since there will be more and more head space as me and my wife drink it over a time? I also am lucky enough to enough to have a brewing store just down the road, is there maybe something I could mix in the cider to reduce the effects if half gallon jugs will cause issues?

I would treat it like you would a bottle of wine. It should be fine for a couple days but it will probably taste better when you first open it. Since it's onle 1/2 gallon it shouldn't be too hard for 2 people to finish it before it goes bad. You could try only filling one this time and see how long it lasts that way.

As for bottling, reduce headspace as much as possible and/or flush with CO2 if you have the equipment.

Thanks for the info Leithoa, I think you are right about how long it will take us to drink it. We are normally pretty light drinkers but we have already gone through one of the half gallons :D.

Hello Everyone, I'm a first time brewer and am nearing the end of my first batch. I have found tons of wonderful information here that has helped me make a, so far, pretty good tasting first batch :mug:. My cider has already been racked and cold crashed and now I am getting ready to bottle. I had originally just gotten a pair of half gallon jugs to store the cider in but have begun to worry about oxidation after reading more into it. Is storing the cider in something like that going to cause problems since there will be more and more head space as me and my wife drink it over a time? I also am lucky enough to enough to have a brewing store just down the road, is there maybe something I could mix in the cider to reduce the effects if half gallon jugs will cause issues?

You can just keep it in the refrigerator. I would probably add Sulfites and Sorbate though, they are preservatives and will keep the oxygen and yeast at bay.

Back