oxiclean for label removal is almost too easy!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickv3444

Reaction score
I soaked about 50 bottles in oxiclean in a big tub (1scoop per gallon of water) and checked on the bottles 30 min later and most of them floated right off the bottle without even touching them and I did t even use hot water, just cold water out of the spigot. Crazy !!!!

Best label remover money can buy. Just a heads up, some brands are easier to remove than others. Sam Adams just come right off in minutes, cigar city can soak over night without budging.

SwampassJ said:
Best label remover money can buy. Just a heads up, some brands are easier to remove than others. Sam Adams just come right off in minutes, cigar city can soak over night without budging.

I just did a case of SA and they were not the hardest but defo not the easiest. Dunno why people always bring them up. Try troeggs or dogfish. It just flies off. I had a six of Tommyknocker and they were a PITA. I have a plastic scraper I take to em. Oxyclean though heck yeah.

Oxiclean is great for lots of stuff. I use to clean sprinkler filters and the p traps in all the sinks...eats up the algae on the filter and clears the stinky crud in the p trap.

But to stay on topic, I used to use bleach for labels and MUCH prefer oxiclean, Use it to clean all the brewing stuff( with the exception of the aluminum pot) before soaking in starsan.

One caveat, if you keep the bottles in the cleaner too long, or perhaps use too uch oxiclean per gallon ( yup.. I forgot and left them in the bucket 2 weeks) they might get a hazy look to them, but a soaking in the acidic starsan will remedy that.

I just did a case of SA and they were not the hardest but defo not the easiest. Dunno why people always bring them up. Try troeggs or dogfish. It just flies off. I had a six of Tommyknocker and they were a PITA. I have a plastic scraper I take to em. Oxyclean though heck yeah.

Because Sams is usually one of the better priced/tasty beers to build collections with. I can't get Troeggs down here (I love their stuff) and dogfish is not between 10.99 and 12.99 a six pack for 60 minute.

Ease of use is dependent on brewery... Locally, Sweetwater fall off 5 minutes into an Oxy soak, Atlanta Brewing Company are attached with some sort of voodoo witchcraft... Needed a blowtorch and jackhammer to get them off...

YMMV

SwampassJ said:
Because Sams is usually one of the better priced/tasty beers to build collections with. I can't get Troeggs down here (I love their stuff) and dogfish is not between 10.99 and 12.99 a six pack for 60 minute.

Well I am not a big Sam Adams fan (not a hater just honest) and I don't want their sig on my bottles ha. Yeah DFH is a little over priced. Their 60 here is about 13. What else, SN and Founders come off easy too. They both have the short bottles. I don't mind them myself. I probably like the thick german bottles the best but they are so expensive. Those bottles never leave the house.

Sam Adams, Dofgfish head, and Great Lakes fall right off for me. There is a local Cincinnati brewery (Mount Carmel) and those labels could soak for a week and come out just as pretty and stuck on as when they went in. I don't even try to remove them anymore. Warsteiner also falls right off.

Back