Overshot OG on Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlprice45

Reaction score
I brewed a partial-mash BIAB nut brown ale yesterday (3 gal partial boil). The estimated OG was 1.050 but came out 1.060. I used the new Mangrove Jacks Newcastle Dark Ale yeast, which is billed as moderately flocculating, meaning it will finish higher than other yeasts to leave a bit of maltiness, but I'm worried that my high OG will leave it too sweet. Anyway, what should you do when you overshoot OG like this, add some more top up water to dilute it (I topped up to 5.5 gal)? Or does that cause its own set of problems?

Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt 3.0 lb 33 % Mash 36
Oats, Flaked 1.0 lb 11 % Mash 37
2-Row Caramel Malt 60L 1.0 lb 11 % Mash 34
Victory® Malt 8.0 oz 5 % Mash 34
2-Row Chocolate Malt 4.0 oz 2 % Mash 34
Maris Otter LME 3.3 lb 36 % Late Boil 37

Hops
Name Amount Time Use Form AA
Fuggle Great Britain 1.25 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 4.8%
Golding Great Britain 1.0 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 4.8%

Yeasts
Name Lab Attenuation Temp
Newcastle Dark Ale M03 Mangrove Jack's 74.0% 64°F – 72°F

I either let it roll as is knowing the beer will be a little higher ABV or top up with a bit of water to hit my intended OG. So if yours came out to 1.060 with 5 gallons of wort than you have a total of 300 gravity points (60 x 5). So to hit your target OG of 1.050 you'll need to add 1 more gallon of water bringing the total to 6 gallons (300 divided by 50 = 6 gallons). Hope that helps!

You can add more water, but then you'd want to add more hops as well. I'd just let it roll, the extra couple points on the FG probably won't be too noticeable.

Also, flocculation and attenuation are not the same thing! And an extra 10 points on the OG is going to be 2-3 more points on the FG. :mug:

Also, flocculation and attenuation are not the same thing! And an extra 10 points on the OG is going to be 2-3 more points on the FG. :mug:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I know you are right just got them mixed up, Monday morning!

Thanks for the feedback, I am gonna let it roll and see what happens. I just hope the FG gets down into an acceptable range. I've never used this yeast before so we will see how hungry it is.

Latest posts

Back