Overshot OG by 12pts!!?? Need input plz...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igotworts

Reaction score
This will be a long winded and I might answer my own question, but I still appreciate the feedback...

Brewed Jamil's Dead Guy Clone.
What I did different in my process:

1. Adjusted my crush to be slightly finer.
2. Mashed-in a little low, @ 150 for 12mins till I got it to 156 and held it there. Total mash time was 72-75 mins, instead of 60min.
3.By preboil volume was 7.75 gal (.75 extra) So I boiled off the .75 before I started my 90min boil as per recipe.

*my preboil gravity was 1.048*

The OG was supposed to be 1.065 mine was 1.077. Does all this make sense?

Thanks in advance! :confused::mug:

You gained 30 points during the boil? That would be a 3.5 hour boil for me.

yup, sure does...

I'd say that you did answer your question. Your grain crush was tighter which allowed for better conversion/extraction. Your mash time was longer than usual at 75 minutes and started slightly cooler which also allowed better conversion.

Also, you went from 7.75gal and 1048 to a post-boil OG of 1077. Math dictates your volume is 4.8gal, right? So, if you want to target the correct post-boil volume, do the math... it goes like this:

7.75 (pre-boil vol) * 48 (of the 1048, pre-boil OG) = 372

Now, divide that by your target post-boil OG: 372/65 = 5.7 gallons of post-boil wort would've resulted in your target OG. You now have the tools to do it next time...

So, your options are,
1) leave it alone and enjoy the hell out of the beer you've brewed,
2) leave it alone and enjoy the hell out of the beer you've brewed,
3) top up with sanitized water (I wouldn't)

Did you adjust your hydrometer reading by the temperature difference between readings? The higher the temperature, the higher the reading will be. Hydrometers are calibrated (generally) at 60F. each degree difference between the measured wort and 60F will change the reading.

Did you adjust your hydrometer reading by the temperature difference between readings? The higher the temperature, the higher the reading will be. Hydrometers are calibrated (generally) at 60F. each degree difference between the measured wort and 60F will change the reading.

I think you meant;

higher the temp, the lower the reading will be, requiring more points be added to your readin to adjust for teh higher temps.

Back