overshot my saccharification--any way to save it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nealie

Reaction score
while heating from a low temp sacch rest to a high temp (140degF to 158degF) i had some thermometer issues and evidently blew right past 158 and wound up somewhere near 170. killed the heat and added a little cool water to drive the temp back down. right now i'm at 160 with a now somewhat thin mash. can this be saved? have i destroyed my enzymatic process? is this rdwhahb territory or did i just make a pot full of under-sweet wort?

You'll get some beer out of it, but your efficiency is probably gonna suffer. WHo know s though. Finish it out. If your gravity is too low afterwords then you could always add some DME.

It is expensive, but I have a bottle in my kit just in case something like this happens. Beware, adding amylaze will lower your final gravity. It's like keeping dry yeast, and DME on hand to straighten out problems when they happen.

i just went with about 1/3 lb. light dme to shore up the gravity. i was only off my pre boil gravity by about 7-8 points. it's in the bucket now so we'll see how it turns out in a couple of weeks. thanks for the advice and i'll check on amylase next time i'm in the lhbs.

Back