Overshot FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
My target FG was 1.016, and I just measured (after 7 days of fermentation) 1.013 SG. It started out fermenting a bit hot, can this account for it? It's a Belgian Golden Strong, and it's a bit boozy, which I'm hoping will be better once it's carbonated. But it might just end up being a learning experience.

Higher temps can lead to higher attenuation yes. But a .003 difference is so small that I would chalk it up to the error inherent in predicting final gravity.

+1

.003 is negligible. Gordon Strong himself wouldn't be able to tell the difference in thousandth of a gravity point (Gordon scored almost perfect on the BJCP judging exam).

+1

.003 is negligible. Gordon Strong himself wouldn't be able to tell the difference in thousandth of a gravity point (Gordon scored almost perfect on the BJCP judging exam).

Do you think WLP500 could actually be done after only seven days? I've heard that some of these Belgian strains used in high gravity beers can take a long time to actually reach their FG.

WLP500 can be pretty much done overnight if you heat it up enough. I typically ferment Belgian strains at room temp, but you really like the Belgian yeast funk character, you could ferment them closer to 90-100F and speed them up.

The only weird characteristic of Belgian strains I've ever encountered is they pretty much all stick at about 1.03 following the primary fermentation. I typically then put them in a bathroom with a space heater at about 90F for a couple more days, and that gets them down into the expected FGs in the 1.02s.

Latest posts

Back