Overpaying?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
I like to shop local and I don't mind paying a little extra but is $57 to much for this IPA kit I bought?

6.6# (2 cans) Light Liquid Malt Extract
2# Extra Light Dry Malt Extract (DME)
1# Crushed Crystal Malt Muslin Grain Bag
1# Crushed Wheat Malt
2 oz. Chinook Hop Pellets (bittering)
1 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets (flavor) 48 Plain Gold Crowns
1 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets (aroma)
1 oz. Willamette Hop Pellets (aroma)
(LME) 1 Whrlfloc Tablet (Irish Moss)
11.5 gm. (1 packet) S-04 Dry Ale Yeast (Whitbread Strain)
C-Brite (1Pkt/2Gal warm H2O = no rinse sanitizer)
Priming Sugar

The kits they sell range from 40-60 bucks

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but austin home brew has tons of kits and offers 7.99 shipping too

I like to shop local and I don't mind paying a little extra but is $57 to much for this IPA kit I bought?

6.6# (2 cans) Light Liquid Malt Extract
2# Extra Light Dry Malt Extract (DME)
1# Crushed Crystal Malt Muslin Grain Bag
1# Crushed Wheat Malt
2 oz. Chinook Hop Pellets (bittering)
1 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets (flavor) 48 Plain Gold Crowns
1 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets (aroma)
1 oz. Willamette Hop Pellets (aroma)
(LME) 1 Whrlfloc Tablet (Irish Moss)
11.5 gm. (1 packet) S-04 Dry Ale Yeast (Whitbread Strain)
C-Brite (1Pkt/2Gal warm H2O = no rinse sanitizer)
Priming Sugar

The kits they sell range from 40-60 bucks

It looks a little high but after shipping from an online source I don't think you're paying that much more.

For LHBS, that sounds about right. One of the shops near me charges between 15 and 18 for cans of LME, 2 bucks an ounce for hops, and 4 a lb for DME. So, doing some quick math my local shop would end up being around 55ish plus tax.

Now you know why grain is bought in bulk. Expect about a 4-5x price increase in any kit you get. Also expect them to tell you that you need to purchased yeast for every batch. And that you need special sanitizers to brew with.

Not that I disagree with a LHBS, but for the most part they are there to make a profit. They do serve a purpose but I would suggest you look up a local brew club and see if you can not get into some bulk buys.

Good gravy! I just bought 50# of Rahr Pilsen malt for $39.95 at my local LHBS. Farming my own yeast and buying hops in bulk, I am well below $20 a corny.

For extract, that is typical pricing.

I used to spend that when i did my own partial mash.

Once i went all grain, I was surprised how much i was saving on ingredients.

and then when I bought 50lb bags of 2-row. man the price went down even more.

I am just starting so I want to do extract for awhile and get my technique and sanatizing down.

Back