Overnight Pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using no chill for awhile, and I just let the wort covered in the boil kettle for ~24 hours.
I just did that. I brewed up a batch, cooled it in an ice bath for a bit to get it down to just under 100* and put the BK in the fridge overnight. The next day I took it out and poured it into my bucket, shook it some more and pitched yeast. It was in the low 60* range and I put the bucket in my swamp cooler next to my other bucket. Both are doing fine.

This thread topic is closest to the question I have:

Last night I made a starter in a 1L Erlenmeyer flask. I had an aeration stone/tube and thermometer inserted into the flask, so it was only partially covered by the face of the thermometer. I placed it on the step in my pool to cool and took the vial of WLP-001 from the fridge. I did not pitch until the next morning. Both the yeast and wort smelled OK, although the yeast overflowed when I opened it. I pitched it quickly in a knee jerk reaction. Then, I wondered if I should have brought the wort up to temp and cooled again in case anything airborne contacted the wort.

Current plan is to let it continue and keep my nose open for any off odors. LHBS is only a few miles away if I need to spend more money.

Will an infection be obvious looking/smelling?

Is it likely OK or am I being a worry wort? :D

Will an infection be obvious looking/smelling?

Is it likely OK or am I being a worry wort? :D

I would guess that it will likely be OK, but leaving an partially flask outside overnight???

RDWHAHB

Next time best to cover with a piece of foil.

In days of old, and even at a few new microbreweries, coldships are used for wort chilling whereby the wort is put into a large flat rectangular open tank and the windows are left open overnight for cooling....go figure

Thanks.

I usually cover with star-san on foil and was using good sanitization practices...got distracted, getting :confused: had a few more :mug: and woke up :smack: !!!

I'm thinking if I can't smell or taste anything 'off' in the starter it'll be more DIPA and less lambic in the end product, right?

I'm thinking if I can't smell or taste anything 'off' in the starter it'll be more DIPA and less lambic in the end product, right?

Yes, while I agree that is a fair quick analysis....there is always the possibility of trace infection that hasn't had the opportunity to flourish, that will become apparent weeks or even months from now.

Perhaps not even this batch but a few generations later if repitching the yeast.

Be forewarned, recently fermented beer can taste very different than the finished product.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back