Overly Smokey Beer -What To Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdavebeer

Reaction score
I did an experiment and made REALLY smokey beer. It's too smokey.

DETAILS ON HOW I DID IT:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/smoking-wort-grill-smoked-beer-202215/
PICTURES
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/smoking-wort-grill-smoked-beer-202215/index3.html#post2433876

So now it's too smokey. Before bottling, I might try:
  • dry hopping to balance out the smoke some
  • gelatin or other precipitating agent to try to precipitate some of the smokiness out

Does anybody have any experience with such a problem?
Any comments of these options?
Any other ideas?

Having fun with my experiments. :ban:
Thanks.

My first batch of Smoked RyePA was super smokey, as a result the beer sat forgotten in the keg for several months, I revisited it and the smoke had mellowed quite a bit, it turned out to be a fantastic beer!

Age it or blend it with something not smokey. I don't think gelatin will remove any smokyness, only age or more beer will do that.

CampFire and azscoob

I appreciate the insights and experience. Glad to know age will reduce the smokiness. I have it split in two fermentors, so I'm going to dry hop half.

Big thanks. :mug:

I now brew my recipe in mid April for October enjoyment. planning ahead makes for amazing beer on those chilly nights, not that it gets too chilly out here, but still, it is a popular recipe, when it is ready for drinking, the keg goes amazingly fast!

I will suggest a second batch that's similar to brew up in case it doesn't mellow. I did a wit in June that I used WAY too much chamomile for my tastes and it never mellowed that much. So now I pour one with with chamomile and another without and it's a good balance.

This way you can play the patience game and if after like six months it's not mellowed enough you can just blend as you pour. If it does mellow well then you have another batch of beer you can drink.

Great idea, smokinghole. I could always blend it with anything along the way. Yeah, that's a good option for any set of brews.

Back