over shooting the estimated OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulbert07

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I am consistently having higher than advertised og reading , For instance yesterday was a all grain brew day, Dales Pale Ale Clone. The OG called to be 1.065 , it came in at 1.088. I would like somehow to keep this a session beer .
Thank you in advance

At 6.5% the original Dales wouldn't be considered a session beer.

Your target 1.065 may be a bit high to be considered session able.

But, are you doing a partial mash with extract? Or is it all grain? How are you taking gravity readings? You mention this to be a recurring problem, what have previous beers finished at? How have they tasted?

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I am consistently having higher than advertised og reading , For instance yesterday was a all grain brew day, Dales Pale Ale Clone. The OG called to be 1.065 , it came in at 1.088. I would like somehow to keep this a session beer .
Thank you in advance

Have you verified that your hydrometer is calibrated correctly? Also, make sure that you are taking your readings at correct temperatures. If you are boiling off too much wort, then your OG will be higher too. Test your boil off rate by boiling water for an hour and measuring the post boil volume. That way you know if you need to collect more wort before your boil. You can also have pre boiled water waiting for your boil to be finished and always top off your wort with the water to lower your OG to within the expected range.

Mouse

I am boiling off about 1.25 gallons during boil . I start off with 7 gallons of wort before the boil starts. This is an all grain brew.
I also had a double IPA that the OG was supposed to be 1.070 , it came in at 1.090
this was an extract brew
a 10 gal batch of milk stout extract came in perfect on the money 1.061
I am still hitting the 5.5 gallon in my primary 0r 11 gallon depending on the volume brewing

I think I might still check my hydrometer
the temp in almost always never above 78 degrees while checking the OG
Thank you for your help

Latest posts

Back