over primed...exploding bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fultonhopper

Reaction score
for my last 5 gallon batch, I put half into a keg and put the other half into bottles. I primed the half going into bottles, but I accidentally used the full cup of priming sugar rather than just half of it. Should I be worried about these 24 bottles on my shelf exploding in a couple of weeks?

Yes. Might wanna give them a few days, then open them up & let them woosh & re-cap them, test again with a few bottles in a week or so.

Or you could check a bottle a day after a week & when they get to where you want them, stick them all in the fridge.

Wear gloves & eye protection.

I would be worried if your using twist off bottles. I like to use champagne bottles because they are much larger (I hate bottling) and can take a lot of pressure. Normal bottles should not turn into grenades, but we are talking about a lot of C02 building up that will impact the serving of the beer.
I would gently tap them after a week and see if you can re-seal them with the caper, if not re-cap.

Back