Over pitching BUT NOT onto YEAST CAKE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
Everything I can find about the negative effects of over pitching yeast talks almost exclusively about knocking out onto YEAST CAKE. However, all I did was accidentally miscalculate and pitch 3 instead of 2 packs of US-05 into my 1.061 OG IPA--giving me about 500 billion cells when I only needed about 275 billion. I want to know if that is enough overpitching to have any effect? THANKS!!

Usually the effects are mild. Lack of esters (not a problem with cal ale), is a the biggest, this would matter more in a hefe, or a belgian. Sometimes the yeast finishes too quickly, and doesnt clean up, leaving diacetyl, or acetylaldehyde in the beer. Thoush this is usally from gross overpitching,-- I wouldnt worry in your case. Taste before racking. If you taste green apple or butterscotch, warm it and rouse it and give it another week.

Everything I can find about the negative effects of over pitching yeast talks almost exclusively about knocking out onto YEAST CAKE. However, all I did was accidentally miscalculate and pitch 3 instead of 2 packs of US-05 into my 1.061 OG IPA--giving me about 500 billion cells when I only needed about 275 billion. I want to know if that is enough overpitching to have any effect? THANKS!!

There's also a risk of underattenuation with overpitching. I think in your situation you're probably fine. Check your FG at the end though and it'll give you feedback about it.

Thanks. I don't plan to do it again. I was just tired and got a little lazy and didn't do the calculation I normally do to find the right pitch rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

you are fine, you killed a bunch of yeast pitching dry yeast into wort

so no worry

S_M
True. at ~200 billion cells per packet, I routinely over pitch because I usually need a more than 200 cells but not 400 or even 300. Some sources say you lose up to 30% and others say up to 50%. However, you can lose up to 60% hydrating wrong.

You only pitched about 300, not 500. Not hydrating had been shown to kill about 50% of cells in the first few seconds of contact with the wort.

Imagine hydrated cells in wort as a person who eats lots of desserts all day log. they get plump. Imagine non hydrated cells as a person who injects pure glucose into their veins via needle They die.

This is your yeast :D

This is your yeast not hydrated:(

Latest posts

Back