Over hopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froghoppy

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here. On my third biab 3 gal batch and all was going well. How ever during the boil hop additions I forgot to scale back my hops from the original 5 gal recipe and convert the amount to the 3 gal. So my hoppy Amber calls for a dry hop after 10 days in fermenter. So I'm thinking of skipping that step due to already over hopping by roughly 40 %. Thoughts?

Too much hops? no such thing. It may be more bitter than you wanted it to be but I would still dryhop it regardless since it will just be for aroma and flavor.
You won't get much bitterness from dyrhopping.

Your 60 minute addition is your bittering addition and after the boil won't have much an affect on precieved hop flavor and aroma. Those are boiled off over the coarse of an hour leaving instead the bitter flavor from the alpha acids. You dry hop additions are not going to affect bitterness because they are not boiled but do add the flavor and aroma of the hop character.

So, long story short, you're beer will be a lot more bitter than it should be already and adding dryhops will not increase that bitterness but rather add to it some hop flavor and aroma so I say just roll with it.

Hops used and hop schedule? Base malts as well
5 lb marris otter, 1lb Carmel crystal 20l and .5 Brown malt. My hop schedule: .4 Columbus @ 45, .4 Chinook @ 20, .4 Columbus @ 15 then 10 min hop stand @ flameout .8 citra, .8 Chinook .8 columbus. Then dry hop after 10 days with 2.0 citra. As I said in first post these hop amounts were for the 5 gal batch and should have been scaled back. Thinking total hops used should have totaled around 3.4 oz instead of the 5.6 oz. So If I don't dry hop then total hops used would get close to what I should have used to begin with . BTW it's fermenting nicely as we speak. I appreciate all the great responses!

Your 60 minute addition is your bittering addition and after the boil won't have much an affect on precieved hop flavor and aroma. Those are boiled off over the coarse of an hour leaving instead the bitter flavor from the alpha acids. You dry hop additions are not going to affect bitterness because they are not boiled but do add the flavor and aroma of the hop character.

So, long story short, you're beer will be a lot more bitter than it should be already and adding dryhops will not increase that bitterness but rather add to it some hop flavor and aroma so I say just roll with it.

That makes sense about the dry hopping adding aroma and not so much bitterness. So I think I will go ahead with the dry hop addition tho scaled back for the batch size this time. Not a lot to be done about it now anyway I suppose . Hope it's not too bad but will update in 5 weeks or so when I crack that firsts bottle.

Well cracked open a bottle today and I gotta say it's way better then I could have hoped. My taste just before bottling had good flavor but kinda on the bitter end so with a little anxiety and crossed fingers my first bottle tasted great! Well balanced, smooth finish and no off flavors. Carbed well with a nice head and a nice color if a little cloudy. Chilling in the garage should help that tho. Great learning experience

Back