Over chilled wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonWB

Reaction score
So I ran into a problem on a brew today that I never expected to happen...

Been brewing for several years with an old diy immersion coil. Well, I got a Therminator for Christmas and finished up my brew today and after cutting the boil off, whirlpooled for about 5mins and then pumped through the Therminator. Garden hose temp was in the low 50s. I pumped 6 gallons through the chiller from just below boil temp in about 6-7minutes and took the reading and the wort came out at 58 degrees. Obviously I’m incredibly happy with the improved chiller, but I’ve never chilled past my estimated pitch point. I’ve got the wort in the carboy in my fermentation chamber with the heater on it to bring it back up, but my question is did I do any harm in over chilling?

Awesome. That’s what I figured, but there’s a first time for everything. Thanks fellas!

Before I got my Hydra IC, I would have never thought to worry about chilling too much, but if I don't watch it like a hawk, I'll overchill before I know it!

With your plate chiller, you can slow water flow rate to not chill too far- a thermometer on the outlet side can really help monitor in real-time.

Thanks. Planning on that. I put a thrumometer on order when I bought the chiller. My LHBS just didn’t have the 1/2” model in stock to go with my plumbing. I’m sure that will help.

So I ran into a problem on a brew today that I never expected to happen...

Been brewing for several years with an old diy immersion coil. Well, I got a Therminator for Christmas and finished up my brew today and after cutting the boil off, whirlpooled for about 5mins and then pumped through the Therminator. Garden hose temp was in the low 50s. I pumped 6 gallons through the chiller from just below boil temp in about 6-7minutes and took the reading and the wort came out at 58 degrees. Obviously I’m incredibly happy with the improved chiller, but I’ve never chilled past my estimated pitch point. I’ve got the wort in the carboy in my fermentation chamber with the heater on it to bring it back up, but my question is did I do any harm in over chilling?

Perfect. Pitch the yeast and let it warm up. Your yeast will start when the temperature is to its liking. It's much better to pitch cool and let it warm than to pitch warm and try to get it to cool.

I pretty much had the same situation a couple days ago, I chilled to 18,5C while the target was 21C Pitched and put the fermenter in the climate fridge set at 21C, in 1-2 hours temperature was on target and not much later the 2-piece waterlock started his dance.

Latest posts

Back