over carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john901

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been brought up a million times but i don't get it.
When i first started i used a tsp a bottle and my beers carbed up good even a year later. Then i started using priming sugar 1 oz to a gallon most were good some were overcarbed so i cut back. The last couple batches i did were only about 2/3 oz to a gallon and they are more overcarbonated than any of the ones i did 1 oz to gal. I always use a priming sugar calculator i use the temp at bottling i have been setting the co2 levels low, i boil the sugar at least a few minutes, let it cool add it to the bottom of the bottling bucket and stir it all up. I am getting over carbonated beers consistently. I always do 2 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary sometimes longer.
So they are fully fermented, i follow the priming directions i don't get it. :cross:
After 2-3 weeks they are perfect but they just keep going after that, maybe it's too warm i don't have a way to keep them cool. I'd love to store them at 50 degrees after that 3 weeks but can't.
I think I'm going to try corn sugar i always just use table sugar and just do 75-80% of what the calculator says. Any other ideas/suggestions?

Wow, that is a lot to read for such a simple problem.

Ok, you are getting more carbonation that you want. My instant reply would be to advise you to use slightly less sugar than you are currently using. How much less? I'm not sure. Maybe 1/5 less, maybe 1/4 less. It all depends on what you consider to be too much carbonation. If you have no cooling devises, then expect the max amount of carbonation for whatever you are working with. I say this because I assume your working environment is warm. And while we are discussing warm environments for brewing, I suggest you think long and hard about brewing Saisons. These beers actually benefit from warm brewing environments. Most ales, and all lagers, require very cool or cold brewing environments. If you cannot produce that environment then you have two choices. 1-only brew in the cooler months of the year, or brew Saisons. Don't get sad, Saisons are pretty good.

I'm sure this has been brought up a million times but i don't get it.
When i first started i used a tsp a bottle and my beers carbed up good even a year later. Then i started using priming sugar 1 oz to a gallon most were good some were overcarbed so i cut back. The last couple batches i did were only about 2/3 oz to a gallon and they are more overcarbonated than any of the ones i did 1 oz to gal. I always use a priming sugar calculator i use the temp at bottling i have been setting the co2 levels low, i boil the sugar at least a few minutes, let it cool add it to the bottom of the bottling bucket and stir it all up. I am getting over carbonated beers consistently. I always do 2 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary sometimes longer.
So they are fully fermented, i follow the priming directions i don't get it. :cross:
After 2-3 weeks they are perfect but they just keep going after that, maybe it's too warm i don't have a way to keep them cool. I'd love to store them at 50 degrees after that 3 weeks but can't.
I think I'm going to try corn sugar i always just use table sugar and just do 75-80% of what the calculator says. Any other ideas/suggestions?

I would go down to 0.5 oz per gallon if you keep getting consistent overcarbonation.

The fact that you get more over carbonation at 2/3 oz per gallon, as opposed 1 oz per gallon should not make any sense. Are you dividing by the gallons you get into the mixing bucket? And are you confident any and all fermentation has stopped? Are all of your bottles over carbonated in a given batch, or do you also get uneven carbonation - in which case the mixing is the problem.

Storage temperature should affect how *quickly* the remaining yeast can consume any fermentable sugars, but will not affect total amount of CO2, that will be fixed by simply the sugar you feed it at bottling plus whatever fermentable sugar remains in the beer.

Yeah pretty much all of them are over carbonated in a batch. I am going to just use less it just doesn't make sense that some were fine with way more. I did brew saisons all last summer they were good. It seems my over carbonation problems began with the ones i did over the fall/winter. it seemed to get a lot worse when summer hit and temps rose. I'm guessing it's because i had too much sugar but the yeast slowed down because it was much colder in the house. Then summer hit and the yeast partied it up.

Back