Over carb'd a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
I had my PSI cranked to 25 to try to rush my beer to be ready to serve and now its way over carb'd. I bled the pressure and dropped PSI down to 5 for the last week or so but it's not helping. Any suggestions?

From what I have read ( don't quote me on this) you need to disconnect the gas and bleed the pressure every once in awhile. You need some of that gas to come out of solution.

What temperature is the beer? If you carbed at room temperature, 25 psi would actually be on the low side of average.

Take a look at our friendly carbonation chart, find your beer temperature, look for the level of carbonation you'd like (eg: many serve pales at 2.5 volumes of CO2) and that will tell you what CO2 pressure you want to end up using.

So, if that pressure is somewhere below that 25 psi, the SOP is to disconnect the gas from the keg and pop the PRV every time you think about it, for a good day or two.

Then connect the gas, set the pressure per the chart, draw a sample and see where you are. If you're still over carbed, repeat the process for another day.

Eventually you will tame that beer...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back