Over attenuated yeast=water and alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgondoli1

Reaction score
What to do? brewed an APA two weeks ago, 10 gallon batch, O.G. 1.062 F.G. 1.008. Last week i took a gravity reading and taste, 1.014 tasted great. Now 1.008 tastes like water with shot added, hop flavor and aroma gone! the software i used said F.G. would be 1.013. My question now is what do i do other than let it sit. Im dry and want some beer quick.

Recipe=
16lb 2row
3lb vienna
3lb munich
1lb crystal 10

.75oz nugget 60
.75oz cascade 60
1oz cascade 30
1oz cascade 15
1oz cascade 1

wy 1056 2L starter
mashed at 152 fermented at 65

Sorry for the long question:drunk: Thanks!

drink it...blend it with another batch.....but if there's no off flavors, don't dump it...

I recently had a Rye PA start at 1.060...and finished at 1.000....wasn't happy....

I dry hopped it big time...it's drinkable....won't win a competition....but I didn't dump it.

It made me test my wort handling and sanitation techniques with George Fix's test on my next batch. I pulled off a small sample of wort as it was coming out of my chiller ( same stuff that was going into my fermenter prior to pitching any yeast )... I put it into a beer bottle with a air lock to see if I got any activity in it due to bacteria or wild yeast.

24 hours.....no activity
48 hours.....no activity
72 hours.....no activity
3 weeks.....no activity

I think it passed the test. My only problem is that I don't know why my previous batch went to 1.000

check your thermometer! No way a 152 mash with those grains should have reached 1.008.

But, the good news is the carbonation will help a ton with mouthfeel and some of the flavors that seem absent may very well reappear once carbed up and conditioned!

I had something similar happen. Here was my recipe:

4.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract
3.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.80%]
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300)

OG 1.055
FG 1.000

Actual FG seems to go below 1.000, but not by much. Fermentation was strong the first 72 hours and was mild for the next 3 days. Yeast finally dropped today. Taste out of the hydrometer wasn't too bad, but it is strong. Fermentation temps were a consistent 73 degrees. Kinda boggled, but I'll force carb and drink it anyways.

That's like painting a dented fender. Its still dented, but you watsed some paint on it.

Yeah, when you have 35 lbs of hops in yer freezer, its like having a 55 gallon drum of car paint. Small potatoes to throw in an ounce or so of hops to help improve some flavor. A painted fender isn't so noticeable from a block away. Lol. It may improve the flavor slightly, it was only my 2 cents and what I would do.

You could (possibly) add some wort to it. Like brew up an extract with some dark extract and some specialty grains and end up with a couple of quarts of strongish flavored wort to add to the fermenter. Let it ferment out then bottle.

Sounds crazy and I wouldn't do it, but you could.

You could prime with the appropriate amount of a similarly strong flavored wort. Braukaiser has formulas that will give you the proper amount.

I would second yooper and say to let it go, bottle it up and you'll be surprised that there is more flavor there than you think.

Easiest thing to do is add maltodextrin for body, but that won't do anything for the flavor. For that, you'd have to make a concentrated C-malt tea and add that. It'll mostly add sweetness though. The best option is blending with another batch.

I had this happen to a Wit. Went from 1.057, added pomegranate sugar to 1.064, then FG to 1.005. Hot alcohol taste before bottling. After 3 weeks in the bottle, the hot taste is gone and it tastes good. Maybe the hot alcohol taste is overpowering the malt and hops.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think ill just carb and drink one pail full and maybe try a blend with the other one. Thanks again everyone..

Just a thought, but have you tried calibrating your hydrometer? Plain tap water will read 1.000 at 60 F. Your could also make a higher gravity calibration solution by dissolving some dry malt extract in water and diluting it to a known volume (that is if you know the potential gravity in points/lb per gallon for the DME). I've had cheap hydrometers that have fallen out of calibration before. Also, are you correcting for the temperature of your hydro sample when you take a reading? Your true SG could be a couple points higher than the observed value.

I would agree with others saying to go ahead and follow through with the batch. You have nothing to lose other than your time and the cost of the ingredients.

While I agree that dry hopping could be considered a "band-aid" to doctor up a bad beer, there is nothing at all wrong with dry hopping an APA. The amount of flavor and aroma hops in your ten gallon recipe was pretty modest, and some dry hops might really add to the beer. Maybe dry hop half the batch and see how it changes the beer.

I checked my hydro right after i took that reading and just checked my thermo and there both good. I kind of like the dry hop idea but im out of beer so the first one goes in the keg untouched and the second one will get some kind of treatment. on second thought, I might keg hop the first one but i only have northern brewer hops in leaf. any thoughts on those in the mix?

I'd add malto-dextrin to the keg...i've fixed a couple beers that were too thin/dry...the effects are basically instantaneous and will definitely help the mouthfeel.

Back