Over-Achieving attenuation In Smash BW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndOfLine

Reaction score
First of all! Hello everyone, I have been a huge fan of the this forum for a long time. I have been lurker for a while, absorbing all of you's guy's, expertise from the shadows!

I wanted my first post to be something epic, with pics n' stuff. However, I have a problem, and need objective and subjective opinions from you fine brewers.

SMASH Barley Wine:
O.G. 1.115
and I just checked my F.G. Two weeks later....
F.G. 1.004!!! (yes, the hydro Meter reads 1.000 in water)
Holy Cus Batman!
the "Beer.... er. Wine" is super super dry. Very little sweetness, no body really....

Question is... How do I "fix" this? should I blend this beer with another?
I have some extra lactose. Would lactose give me that creamy sweetness to counter the huge dry, and alcohol flavor? :confused:
Thanks Lads.

The Recipe
24lbs of Munich malt
Mash at 151
No sparge,
4 gallons post boil
1oz 60 of Millennium 15%aa
1oz 30 Millennium 15%aa
Yeast starter with Super High Gravity Yeast.

Just had a thought. I didn't use a thief to gather beer for my measurements. I used a measuring cup. Is it possible that the beer, at the top of the fermentor has more Alc. due to it being less dense then water?

From what I hear, the mixture in your carboy should be pretty even. Blending your beer with another batch is always an option.

Someone brought an over attenuated Dunkle into the club meeting which was saved with malto Dextrine powder. If he had not said anything, I would never have known.

Wine conditioner may be an option. It is a concentrated sugar that is sterile and won't cause it to ferment but add sweetness. You should be able to find some at our LHBS.

Cheers!

I will consider those ideas. Thanks

What do you all think about Re-mashing about a gallon of High gravity wort from the same grain. and dumping it on the existing BW?

Back