Outdoor kitchen setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Not sure if this goes here or not, but what the heck. Here we are at 0300hrs and I am at work with not much going on. Got to thinking, I have a cool little area in my backyard where my current BBQ sits with a capped water line near it. How cool would it be to make a little BBQ area with a built in grill, smoker, bar (or at least a way to serve cold beer) and a fridge or something to keep stuff cool. Being a DIY fan, I am looking to see if any of you all have cool designs you did in your backyard and what the cost and time was doing it? I have the tools to do it. I also have the desire. Sometimes the skill set lacks a bit, but what the heck. I am looking to see what you all have and any plans or drawings for it. Rock On!!!!!!!

I'm looking at doing the same thing here at our French farmhouse. We have an outbuilding of limestone blocks, basically 2 rooms, that we want to use. It's against the west wall of the property, out of the wind, and only a few steps from our front porch. One room was the old farm blacksmith shop so it still has a chimney I could park my big smoker under. The other room is about 100 sq. ft and has a brick floor. Our electric meter is on the back side of the wall, and the water supply for the house is just a few meters away so getting utilities would be simple. A friend gave us a propane range that would fit nicely, and I would like to build a concrete countertop on each side of the stove. My BIL used it to store farm chemicals, they are now gone and the building already quit smelling like a chemical factory.
BUT, I'm gonna have to put a new roof on the whole thing, and that may not happen this year. We have other projects that have to get done so the outdoor kitchen may have to wait until next year.
BTW, I'm like you. I have the desire(and motivation from the boss lady), the tools, and some of the skills needed. And I'm learning new skills every week-stone masonry practice starts next week.

I have been looking at some designs. I am thinking of framing something in wood, then using cement backer board and either stone or outdoor tile. I think I can do it. LOL. I might get the wood for the frame and just see what I can do and go from there. I nice outdoor keg setup would be cool too. Gotta work on that. LOL.

I have been looking at some designs. I am thinking of framing something in wood, then using cement backer board and either stone or outdoor tile. I think I can do it. LOL. I might get the wood for the frame and just see what I can do and go from there. I nice outdoor keg setup would be cool too. Gotta work on that. LOL.
I'm in the late design phase of the same idea for my beer garden/patio. I'm putting in an eight foot long wood rack but the top will be counter top height with outdoor tile. On the back side will be a built in grill. I'm use cement board on all of the exterior over the framing.

Right now I'm noodling on making the grill movable in case I want to roll it to a different spot

We can share some ideas if think it would help!

I'm in the late design phase of the same idea for my beer garden/patio. I'm putting in an eight foot long wood rack but the top will be counter top height with outdoor tile. On the back side will be a built in grill. I'm use cement board on all of the exterior over the framing.

Right now I'm noodling on making the grill movable in case I want to roll it to a different spot

We can share some ideas if think it would help!
I would love to see what you got and what you are thinking. I have about a 6 to 8 foot space next to the fence in the backyard that I have been toying with. My thought is a spot for the bbq, smoker and maybe a tap and cooler setup for an outdoor beer area. I am thinking 2x4 construction with cement board and either tile or some sort of stone for the exterior. I have found that built in grills are expensive, at least 800 bucks, so that might hinder the project a bit. I was also thinking of just building in an ice chest style setup for parties, but we don't really entertain much, so that might be a waste of time. LOL.

Subscribed. I've been dreaming about doing something when we buy a retirement home in a few years. We rent currently so anything permanent is out of the question. I've been wanting to get a flat top griddle and a charcoal grill to complement the smoker and might just build a tabletop to accommodate the two.

So here's what I have to work with. The interior is plenty big for a refrigerator, stove, and countertop workspace. I'm debating whether or not to put a window in the old hay hole or just a screen to keep the pigeons out. I may open up the wall between the two rooms.

Attachments

• 20230707_195818.jpg
    20230707_195818.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230707_195836.jpg
    20230707_195836.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I'd like to do something. We have a pretty nice patio but unfortunately it faces west so it gets hot on sunny days from about 1-7PM I've looked a couple times at the Yardistry shelters at Costco. Figure a 12x20 on a concrete pad with a 115V circuit for a few LED string lights, the Traeger, and a TV would work out nice. Later evening we could move to the patio and enjoy the fire pit there. In the shelter, one end would be room for the Egg, Blackstone, and Traeger while the other end would basically be an outdoor living room.

Once you determine where you can realistically put your cooking area then you can start your plan. Placement should be a safe spot that's convenient to use yet far enough away from combustibles. You don't want to start your house on fire when cooking your favorite pizza.

Also determine gas hookups, electrical and water. You could have all of those connections or none at all. Propane is portable. Planning is key for location and think about permits too.

An outdoor area can be an extension of your home or just a nice spot to spread out cooking on the grill. I opted for a counter top area with my Weber gas grill built in. The front part will be wood storage for a fire pit. I plan on cement board all around and the top. The top counter will be outdoor tile. The sides will be finished as stucco or cultured stone. On the grill side I bought a stainless steel double door for access to the propane tank and some storage. Framing will start real. Some other landscape projects came first. When I get to my PC I'll post a sketch.

Once you determine where you can realistically put your cooking area then you can start your plan. Placement should be a safe spot that's convenient to use yet far enough away from combustibles. You don't want to start your house on fire when cooking your favorite pizza.

Also determine gas hookups, electrical and water. You could have all of those connections or none at all. Propane is portable. Planning is key for location and think about permits too.

An outdoor area can be an extension of your home or just a nice spot to spread out cooking on the grill. I opted for a counter top area with my Weber gas grill built in. The front part will be wood storage for a fire pit. I plan on cement board all around and the top. The top counter will be outdoor tile. The sides will be finished as stucco or cultured stone. On the grill side I bought a stainless steel double door for access to the propane tank and some storage. Framing will start real. Some other landscape projects came first. When I get to my PC I'll post a sketch.
I think you and I are talking very much the same idea. I am hoping to get something to build around a Weber propane grill, maybe incorporate a flat top and a stand or something to put my smoker in. Everything is meant to be portable now, so not sure what the rules are for making them a bit more built in. I have a pipe caped, but water is not a must have. I can run an extension cord if need be for electricity but the grill and smoker are propane, so the storage that you are talking about for the tank would be what I was thinking as well. Have to work out the venting as I don't want to blow anything up. LOL. Problem is, I am in the San Francisco area, and everything get wet even during the summer with the fog. So, whatever I do either has to be covered or water resistant. I also have a really cool smokeless fire pit, Flame Genie I think it is called. This thing puts out some serious heat, but also some serious flame when it gets going, so anything that I do with that has to really have some venting and has to be pretty high to keep from either burning or melting. I am thinking of burying some 4x4's and making an enclosure like I did for the hot tub, but gotta get the ok from the wife. Our backyard is not very big, so this has to be conscious of the space available. I would like to see the layout when you get a chance. Either way, I think it would be pretty cool, but is a wish list item for now.

So here's what I have to work with. The interior is plenty big for a refrigerator, stove, and countertop workspace. I'm debating whether or not to put a window in the old hay hole or just a screen to keep the pigeons out. I may open up the wall between the two rooms.
Now that is a cool start to what could be a nice brewing room and maybe a cool lounge/bar area. I would love to have something like that to create a really cool outdoor mancave. LOL.

Now that is a cool start to what could be a nice brewing room and maybe a cool lounge/bar area. I would love to have something like that to create a really cool outdoor mancave. LOL.
All my brewing equipment is in the USA, and in France when you can buy fresh Trappist beers for under $2 homebrewing doesn't make sense. I'll do that in New Mexico.
At our French house we have friends and family over almost every damn day so not using the indoor kitchen any more than necessary will be great.
And I have much bigger spaces for my mancave. Like the 1200 sq ft. dairy barn or the loft in the garage. Both are projects for later.

This type of structure is fairly easy and cost effective to build and could be scaled easy to your size needs ... BUT wouldn't do much to keep out moisture from fog .
Here in the swamp moisture from humidity and rain takes it's toll on things like grills and such .
View attachment 824214
That's a cool setup. If I can incorporate that with a setup for my bbq and stuff that would work out pretty well. I have a 56 Chevy to get back to running condition, so that is taking my time right now, but this is going to be a kinda thought in the back of my head when I get that done.

Thumbs up on the 56 ... I've always got car projects I have to put on the back burner due to time/money/or both.
Right now I've got a 74 Plymouth Duster project/39 Buick Special Mod 40 project/ and a 64 Buick Riviera gathering cobwebs .
Today I'm working on none of those nor am I brewing ... sweating my ass of in the yard is what
I'm doing. :rolleyes:

This type of structure is fairly easy and cost effective to build and could be scaled easy to your size needs ... BUT wouldn't do much to keep out moisture from fog .
Here in the swamp moisture from humidity and rain takes it's toll on things like grills and such .
View attachment 824214
That structure sure is nice but I'm not sure it'll work in my spot. Very impressive though and would keep the Wisconsin snow off the grill. Unfortunately, I don't do much outdoor cooking let alone much outside activities in the winter months, except clearing snow of course. Nice dream though if that global warming thing turns our winter months to summer.

Wisconsin ... takes a special breed to live in that climate . Family member of mine moved from Louisiana to Wisconsin years back and died in a blizzard 8 or 10 years ago when his truck broke down and he tried walking across some pasture land ... they found him tangled in a fence froze to death .
OP lives in Cali , climates pretty mild relatively speaking . Here in S.Louisiana heat,bugs,and humidity are the factors to account for when designing an outdoor kitchen .
79b7baded100ca83d0b14ea0846fa998.jpg
Here you go Oak island ... ain't gotta get too fancy ... like you said ... just keep the snow off the grill . 🤪

Living in Wisconsin is a breeze compared to living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I moved from there in 2003. I'm not saying it's tropical here but snow storms are alot milder. Still winter sucks.

Having an area outside to enjoy the outside I feel is ideal and should be high on anyone's list, provided they enjoy being outdoors.

I'm building a small area for outdoor grilling and serving in my patio/beer garden. I spend lots of time out there now and the two small side racks on the grill don't work so well to seriously cook.

I've seen some real elaborate "outdoor kitchens" even here in Wisconsin so a ton of money can be spent. For me I don't need the deep seating chairs all perched in front of the 80" flat screen and a big cooking area larger than most kitchens.

Having an area outside to enjoy the outside I feel is ideal and should be high on anyone's list, provided they enjoy being outdoors.

I'm building a small area for outdoor grilling and serving in my patio/beer garden. I spend lots of time out there now and the two small side racks on the grill don't work so well to seriously cook.

I've seen some real elaborate "outdoor kitchens" even here in Wisconsin so a ton of money can be spent. For me I don't need the deep seating chairs all perched in front of the 80" flat screen and a big cooking area larger than most kitchens.
Completely agree with this. I am looking for a nice setup that will serve the purpose and allow me to be outside and enjoy the afternoon with some food and a nice cold beer of choice. Rock On!!!!!!!

So my design is some tiled counter space on both sides of my Weber gas grill. The size is 36" wide by 96" long with maybe a small leg section like an "L".
I'm going to un-bolt the grill from it's plastic cart and mount it into the middle of the eight foot length. This arrangement will give me lots of elbow room to spread out.

So my design is some tiled counter space on both sides of my Weber gas grill. The size is 36" wide by 96" long with maybe a small leg section like an "L".
I'm going to un-bolt the grill from it's plastic cart and mount it into the middle of the eight foot length. This arrangement will give me lots of elbow room to spread out.
I would sure like to see what it looks like. It sounds a lot like what I am thinking. Just enough space to spread out and enjoy an afternoon of cooking and beers. LOL

I would sure like to see what it looks like. It sounds a lot like what I am thinking. Just enough space to spread out and enjoy an afternoon of cooking and beers. LOL
When my project gets underway I'll post some pictures. So far other things have gotten in the way of starting. I really want to get the framing started, that will at least look like some progress is being made.

Stay tuned . . .

Back