Out of control wine maker at Kroger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasWine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a little out of control at the grocery today. Found Knudsen juices on sale and the store brand as well. Bought a gallon each of 100% pure pomegranate, tart cherry and blueberry. AND, picked up four Rossi for the jugs.

Need some of your ideas on what I should make from these juices.

Also, can someone remind me what size stopper fits these jugs?

ForumRunner_20131102_160117.jpg

A #6 stopper fits Carlo Rossi jugs.

I've never used juices like that (except for apple juice or grape juice), but you can definitely have some fun with making wine with them!

Blueberry and pomegranate mixed make an excellent combination for mead and wine. I have used the Knudsen juices with great success. (the black cherry Knudsen wine I made is to die for) I would mix 3 of the blue berry and three of the pomegranate and split this for 2 gallons. Use sugar or honey and water to get you final gravity around 1.090 - 1.095. Have not tried the tart cherry before. But if I had it I would do 3 32oz jars to 1 gallon, then honey and water to get your sg to the same staed before. I bet it would be great.

Also, I don't know why but of all the meads, country wines I have made, The Acai berry knudesns (or a brand called LW) are the best. I repeatedly make Acai berry mead (melomel) with these juices and it is just fantastic (same ratio as I mentioned above)

A #6 stopper fits Carlo Rossi jugs.

I've never used juices like that (except for apple juice or grape juice), but you can definitely have some fun with making wine with them!

Thanks for the info Yooper. I'm in the same boat as you. Used plenty of apple and grape, but nothing else.

Blueberry and pomegranate mixed make an excellent combination for mead and wine. I have used the Knudsen juices with great success. (the black cherry Knudsen wine I made is to die for) I would mix 3 of the blue berry and three of the pomegranate and split this for 2 gallons. Use sugar or honey and water to get you final gravity around 1.090 - 1.095. Have not tried the tart cherry before. But if I had it I would do 3 32oz jars to 1 gallon, then honey and water to get your sg to the same staed before. I bet it would be great.

This is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for! Thanks!

One quick Q. Why use any water at all?

I usually use these juices to make mead. In that case you still want some of the honey character to come through. If you use straight juice you need much less honey to get to target gravity. The black cherry wine I made was straight juice and came out well.

I did some poking around and found a heavy body blueberry recipe by Jack Keller. Think I"ll use that as a starting point with adjustments made for using juice. Recipe follows:

• 2 32 oz jars of Knudsen 100% blueberry juice
• 11 1/2-oz can frozen red grape concentrate
• 1/2 c light dry malt
• granulated sugar to s.g. 1.090
• 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
• 3/4 tsp acid blend
• water to make total liquid 1 gal
• 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate
• 1/2 tsp yeast energizer
• 1 tsp yeast nutrient
• wine yeast

Mix all ingredients except potassium sorbate, yeast and red grape concentrate. Stir well to dissolve sugar, cover well, and set aside for 12 hours. Add yeast, cover, stir ingredients daily. When specific gravity is 1.030 siphon liquor off sediments into glass secondary. Add red grape concentrate (do not top up), fit airlock and set aside. Rack in five weeks and again in two months. When wine is clear and stable, rack again, add potassium sorbate and a finely crushed Campden tablet. The wine should be sweetened some to pull it off dryness. This simply brings out the flavor of the blueberry. Set aside a final 30 days and carefully rack into bottles. Allow a year to mature.

I can do this batch of blueberry and still have enough left over to do a blueberry/pomegranate combo. Think I'll try to tackle the blueberry first and then set my sights on the combination. Still not sure what to do about the tart cherry juice. I've read that some folks mix it with the black cherry to get something wonderful.

Latest posts

Back