ouhh ooo lager yeast failer????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insco2

Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch of molsen ice clone beer on sunday. The recipe called for white labs american pilsner lager yeast. Brewed ,pitched ,and...........nothing! There is no co2 development at all. all i read said that it will activate at temps from 60 to 70 degrees, but nothing. I have the wort in two different containers and that should lessen the odds of one bad vial,(god forbid)even still im waiting and getting very nervous the time and money was wasted. could i get a little advice from the best advice crew I know?

You probably want to get it up in the 75 range to get fermentation started, then bring it back down in the 60's after it's going.

If you didn't make a BIG starter you're going to wait a long time! Lager yeasts are notorious for having a long lead time.

I keep dry lager yeast for such ocassions that liquid yeast fails. Due to temperatures, summer has been known to kill my liquid yeasts. The dry lager yeast from Superior will work right down to the 30's., great for fermenting in the shed during autumn through spring.

The dry yeast is probably the best way to go for about the first 5 or so brew attempts, then switch to the liquid yeasts to fine tune future brews. For the first few brews, I would say keep it as simple as possible and get familiar with the basics. There is less chance on things going wrong :drunk: and being frustrated by bad results.

i checked out white labs website and i belive i read for a lager they recommend doubling the yeast called for.. dont know if that i appropriate? but i thought it was interesting any ideas?

Back