Oud Bruin Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddPEI

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting an Oud Bruin using Jamil's recipe from CYBI.

I'm wondering, is it necessary to transfer off the primary yeast (I used US-05), before adding my Roselair blend? Or can I keep the beer on the yeast, and just pitch the blend on top? I should be in the fermenter for about a month or so before I transfer it to a keg, so the yeast should be spewing their guts that much by then (I hope).

What are your opinions?

I pitch the Roeselare right away. I've done it like you have and it's just not sour enough for me. That being said, let that secondary go for and extended period of time. Six months isn't too soon. That Brett in there will even digest some oak ships should you have some, and that's good advise I promise. You might get some very mild sour if you allow it to age for a long time. There's really not a too long.

I have an oud bruin going and wanted to add some oak. How long do you suggest keeping oak cubes in for and how much? 1oz?
I have about 1 oz boiled for 30 minutes then soaked in pinot noir barrels for the past 2 months. If the wine doesn't smell bad (which it shouldn't because it hasn't had much air to oxydize with and kept at fridge temps, then I wanted to dumb into the oud bruin. Just not sure how long...

Thanks!

I'm wondering, is it necessary to transfer off the primary yeast (I used US-05), before adding my Roselair blend? Or can I keep the beer on the yeast, and just pitch the blend on top? I should be in the fermenter for about a month or so before I transfer it to a keg, so the yeast should be spewing their guts that much by then (I hope).

What are your opinions?

A month is way too short... 6-8 months minimum... From all I have heard at around 8 months is really when you start getting some good stuff from all those buggies...

I have an oud bruin going and wanted to add some oak. How long do you suggest keeping oak cubes in for and how much? 1oz?
I have about 1 oz boiled for 30 minutes then soaked in pinot noir barrels for the past 2 months. If the wine doesn't smell bad (which it shouldn't because it hasn't had much air to oxydize with and kept at fridge temps, then I wanted to dumb into the oud bruin. Just not sure how long...

Thanks!

Which yeast did you use? I'm not sure what you mean by soaking them in pinot noir barrels. Do you mean you're soaking the oak in wine?
I don't know what flavor it will change with the wine, but it might be nice.
When I use oak chips, I sanitize the in simmering water and add the boiled water to the secondary fermenter along with the chips.

Sorry I meant to say I'm soaking oak cubes in some Pinot noir. Cleaned and Sanitized a mason jar, threw in Pinot noir, boiled oak cubes for 30 minutes then threw into Pinot noir.
The oud bruin I used some rosalare in one carboy and rosalare is bottle dregs from cantillon, RR and almanac.

I was listening to the Jamil show, and he mentions leaving it in the carboy for only 1 month, I figured it would pick up more character in the keg.

But, if the consensus is to leave it in the carboy for a couple more months before the keg, I'll let it sit. I'm in no hurry.

Kept everything in the primary, didn't transfer to secondary, and pitched the roselaire and some Russian river dregs.

I was listening to the Jamil show, and he mentions leaving it in the carboy for only 1 month, I figured it would pick up more character in the keg.

Roe is very slow, especially when added in secondary. if you're searching for a mild sour, 6 months may be enough, otherwise its likely over a year. 1 month will have zero sour with just Roe, with your RR dregs you might get some, and it will not develop more sourness at serving temperatures

Back