Other Than Beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love bourbon and Coke....namely Jim Beam. At home, I sub the cheaper Evan Williams and Diet Coke. Jim Beam Rye is cheap, and mixes well, too.

I've been sampling bourbons quite a bit, and so far my favorite is Evan Williams Single Barrel. It's great stuff, and a great price. I also really like Bulleit, and Knob Creek is OK, too.

On almost any summertime weekend, you're likely to see a pitcher of frozen margarita on the counter. We just use the mix and Jose. I really need to learn to make the real thing.

I've sampled single malts here and there, and haven't really been able to get into them. I really enjoy Johnny Walker Black over an ice cube or two, though.

I'm a big fan of a well made gin martini, but haven't mastered making them myself. My son spilled the beans the other day that SWMBO got me a drink shaker for Christmas. I will need some gin recommendations in the near future. :D

The only wines I've been able to get into are mostly German whites, and the cheap red ones in a box. :drunk: A winery in Virginia made a blackberry merlot that was friggin' great, and I haven't been able to find anything similar since.

I'm not a wine lover, and while I enjoy the occasional mixed drink at a restaurant, I don't keep much liquor at home. Beer is pretty much it for me, along with the occasional soda and water.

I've calmed down a LOT on drinking liquer. But I do have a big bottle of Sailer Jerry's sitting on my counter. I like to drink it with diet coke, that way if I want to have a buzz, and dont wanna worry about the extra calories ( I know I sound like a woman just now haha) I just drink the rum and coke.

Yuri_Rage said:
Oh, and I can't forget Jeremiah Weed Bourbon Liqueur - it's like "Lysol, alcohol, and a touch of gasoline" - it's a love/hate relationship

Dude!!! i love that band. :rockin: :tank: :rockin:

i havent tried the bourbon though (waiting for my bro to bring a bottle of it around since i cant find it anywhere)

And while i like bourbon my true love is RUM!

No Spanish or French rums for me though. English all the way, and preferably Jamaican.

Air Pirate said:
Dude!!! I love that band. :rockin: :tank: :rockin:

I haven't tried the bourbon, though (waiting for my bro to bring a bottle of it around since I can't find it anywhere).
Dude!!! I know a few members of that band! ...and I think even met the infamous "Heat" on a TDY.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a taste of the stuff, though. It's not bourbon, it's bourbon liqueur (think 100 proof whiskey schnapps), and it "tastes like f***!" It's tradition that we drink it, though, and you can acquire a bit of a taste for the stuff. Mostly, it's used as a sort of punishment for opening your mouth at the wrong time or committing a social faux pas during certain "events." Here's a great article about it.

Your user name reminds me of this patch, commonly worn in Korea, even today. The patch comes from the derogatory name for fighter pilots coined by the North Koreans during the war. Some think that they were actually trying to say, "Yankee Air Pilot," but suffered from the classic Korean/Japanese inability to pronounce English L's. The guys got a kick out of it and began referring to themselves as "Yankee Air Pirates."

yankairpirate.jpg

I enjoy it all.

Red wine, Single Malt Scotch, Gin. Oh hell, if it fermented I will pretty much drink it. I am not a huge fan of white wines but I will always try them.What's the worst thing that could happen. I might enjoy it :)

Yuri, what community are you from?

Thanks for the article, its always interesting how some of those traditions get started.

I need to get their second CD. i hear there is a good song about not wanting to land on a boat. ;)

Im a big fan of good red wine. Loving the "7 Deadly Zins" we found at the local wine bar.

Gin and Tonic, Vodka and Tonic, Gin Martini dry and dirty, Vodka Martini dry and dirty.
:)

Homemade wine.....................My basement's full. I've been vinting for over 15 years. Peach, blueberry, tart and black cherry, blackberry, cranberry, very little grape, and elderberry.:drunk:

Im a big Tequilla fan. Just brought a bottle of Chamucos Reposado back from the Yukitan. Havent opened it yet.

If I dont have a beer or margarita in my hand Im sipping on a Jack n Coke or Jack neat.

Wine - various
Whiskey - Gentleman Jack
Scotch - The Glenlivet

I'm more apt to drink wine with a meal than beer. The whiskey/scotch is usually a shot (sipped) with a cigar about once or twice a month after a particularly good meal. Occasionally the whiskey is on the rocks, no cigar, after a particularly bad day.

Rick

Shaffer, I'm so glad someone else here has seen the Showtime version of Reefer Madness before! SWMBO and I have seen it 30+ times. Neve Campbell is HOT. So are Kristen Bell and Amy Spanger.

Anyways. The question was... if I can not have beer, what do I have?

I've never found my taste for scotch. I used to be a bourbon guy. Never used to like tequila, but now I do. Huh. I'm not a vodka person, but Stolichnaya and Ketel One both have special places in my heart. Generally, gin is my solid stand-by.

Bombay Sapphire if I can find it on sale. Otherwise, either Tanqueray Rangpur or Seagram's Lime Twisted. I prefer to mix a cocktail of 1 shot gin, 1/2 shot lime juice, 1/2 shot cranberry juice, tonic to top up.

I'm trying to mix juice into my drinks more often. I need to get away from processed sugars a la rum + coke or whiskey + coke. Those used to be my drinkin' drinks, back in them there college days, doncha know.

chriso said:
Shaffer, I'm so glad someone else here has seen the Showtime version of Reefer Madness before! SWMBO and I have seen it 30+ times. Neve Campbell is HOT. So are Kristen Bell and Amy Spanger.

It's funny you should say that; my g/f's name is Erin Fickman and her uncle (Andy Fickman; her dad's brother) directed that reefer madness. He also directed "Who's Your Daddy", "She's the Man", and "The Game Plan" which grossed 26+ mill the first weekend and like 21 mill the following weekend. Pretty kickass if you ask me.

His upcoming movies are "She Had Brains, a Body, and the Ability to Make Men Love Her" (In production 2008) and "Witch Mountain" (2009).

kush said:
It's funny you should say that; my girl friend's name is Erin Fickman and her uncle (Andy Fickman; her dad's brother) directed that reefer madness.

Wow. I'd die to be able to meet him. (But if I have to die to do it, I'd want to meet some of the cast, too. Go out with a bang.) It's a crazy small world! Thanks for sharing that! :D

Back