other hops to use in cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidneysaintpe

Reaction score
I made a cream ale with hallertau mittelfruh hops and loved it. I want to experiment with other hops but not sure which ones I should try that would be similar to the hallertau? Maybe Liberty, Mt Hood, Saaz? Any ideas? Thanks!

I vote for Liberty. It's BYO's substitute for hallertau and I just put a cream ale using Liberty on tap. (Jamil's recipe) It's very tasty.

I ended up with a half pound of liberty because morebeer sent me the wrong hops (but at $1/oz during the hop shortage, I still wasn't going to complain). I plan on brewing a liberty blonde ale soon. I was thinking something like 10# 2-row, 0.5# crystal 60L, and 1oz liberty at 60min, and 0.5oz at 15min and flame out, and finish it with some nottingham.

Or maybe I'll drop the crystal 60L and make it a SMaSH.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the noble hops as long as you stay under 20 IBUs and avoid any flavor additions (just bittering and maybe aroma). Saaz, Mt Hood, Hallertau, Liberty, Tettnang... all very nice.

Well - Cream of Three Crops - the All-Star/Hall of Fame Cream Ale on this board used Williamette and Crystal.

Do you all add the fuggles and saaz together at the beginning of the boil? Any other good combos?

With IBU's in the teens and no discernible flavor or aroma, any clean bittering hops would work just fine.

At 13%, you could even use a pinch of Galena.

I'd save your more valuable flavor/aroma hops for your beers that rely on those hops

Latest posts

Back