Other fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobstar

Reaction score
I plan on making a Pilsner or Lager in the near future however I'm a little confused with the fermentation techniques.

Here's an example..

Primary Fermentation Plastic 14days @ 10c
Secondary Fermentation Plastic 30days @ 4c
Other Fermentation Plastic 6days @ 20c Diactyl rest

When does the "other fermentation" sequence occur? Is this done between Primary and Secondary? or should this just be called 3rd fermentation?

Thank you.

The diacetyl rest is done at the end, after you've lagered it.

Not saying that my technique is correct, but I do it differently. For lagers, I'll ferment around 45 or so for a few weeks, then remove and allow to warm to room temp for about 3-4 days (the diacetyl rest), then rack to secondary, and on to lagering around 30 degrees for however long.

The diacetyl rest is done at the end, after you've lagered it.

I've never heard of doing it that way- usually the diacetyl rest comes immediately following primary.

Typically, you'll ferment at 50 degrees until 75% of the way to FG, then raise the temperature 10 degrees for 24-48 hours.

After that, and the beer is at FG, it is racked to a new carboy (not plastic) and the temperature is gradually dropped to lagering temperatures. I lager at 34 degrees for one week for each 8-10 points of OG. So, for an OG of 1.064, I'll lager about 8 weeks.

Back