Original Gravity: How Off Is Too Off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
Brewing an NEIPA with an estimated 1.074 that came in at 1.068.
Always wondered if there's a rule of thumb as to how low is too low?
At what point to folks start intervening to raise their OG?
Many thanks, and happy brewing!

At what point to folks start intervening to raise their OG?
Depends on what I was trying to brew and what I can figure out about why I missed. I just did a Belgian Blond that was off by about 9 points. Turns out I had missed a bunch of dough balls. I figured that there probably wouldn't be anything wrong with just over 6% ABV instead of just under 7 so I left it alone. It's not going to be what I meant to brew but I'm OK with that.

Depends on what I was trying to brew and what I can figure out about why I missed. I just did a Belgian Blond that was off by about 9 points. Turns out I had missed a bunch of dough balls. I figured that there probably wouldn't be anything wrong with just over 6% ABV instead of just under 7 so I left it alone. It's not going to be what I meant to brew but I'm OK with that.
Sounds good, cheers! I often find that my FG is lower than anticipated , so it might all come around in the end

Back