Oregon squashes Home Brew Competitions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a conversation with a local BATF agent I was told that in his opinion Home brew can only be consumed in the home in which it was brewed and anything else is a violation of federal law. He also said he was more concerned about the T and F portions of his agency and probably would never do anything about the A.

Who on here is acutally intimidated by having a homebrew competition in Oregon, how about tonight? A raid on your competition? Is there going to be a SWAT team smashing all your bottles?

Are you guys seriously worried about it? Im not trying to be a dick, but if I want to transport a case of brews I made to my friends house 2 hours away, I am sure as hell not going to let an unenforced law get in my way. I could give two ****s if I violate federal law in that manner. Its a ridiculous law to begin with.

And I would like to see what penalties there would be for such a small amount of beer. I could understand more if a restaurant proprietor was selling my kegged homebrew in his bar. That makes sense. Serving it to friends for free...no one's going to stop me from doing that, I got news for you.

Either way it was just some ******* little snitch that had to get their noses in other peoples buisness. Competiton at a STATE FAIR had been going on for 22 years and only now it was noticed that it was illegal? Please....LOL a homebrewer must have pissed off one of the board members. I hope they overturn it for everyone's sake so other states don't catch on and worry everyone.

I'm not as concerned about anyone in my brew club, as I am about the host brewery losing it's license because it is viewed that they sanctioned the activity.

In a State where the failure of a commercial enterprise to verify or ask an ID on the sale of alcohol results in a near $2,000 fine, drinking while serving (bartender) results in the business being closed, I can only guess what might happen if a home brewer were to bring their brew into a brewery and share it with other brewers while an OLCC undercover agent or Decoy was on the premises. Yes, they do that here. List of resolved violations for May of this year: http://oregon.gov/OLCC/docs/violations_resolved/admin_violations_resolved_may2010.pdf

But you're in Pennsylvania, you don't have to worry about OLCC! :D

How extreme is OLCC? Under their rules, an OLCC-licensed server at an event is required to verify that every person they serve is over 21. It doesn't matter if the person has an official event wristband, the server is still liable for checking and both the server and the event can be fined. Another unenforced rule that is there any time OLCC wants to shut an event down.

We're way ahead of that. The Oregon Home Brew Alliance has been formed to get the law changed. We have support from the AHA, at least 2 state legislators on board and draft language already being reviewed. The OHBA has reps from several clubs in OR. One thing I'd like to point out is that writing angry letters to the OLCC or legislators is not gonna help. We need these people on our side. The OLCC has already expressed an interest in getting the law changed. If anyone has specific questions, please contact. We have a website that will be online soon with info. In the meantime, you can sign up for a mailing list at http://groups.google.com/group/oregon-home-brewers-alliance .

Yeah, we're still doing the BJCP class since it doesn't involve serving homebrew.

Please keep us all informed on what we can do, both as forum members here and as AHA members, to help out.

How extreme is OLCC? Under their rules, an OLCC-licensed server at an event is required to verify that every person they serve is over 21. It doesn't matter if the person has an official event wristband, the server is still liable for checking and both the server and the event can be fined. Another unenforced rule that is there any time OLCC wants to shut an event down.

I worked at a grocery store in Oregon while in college and I recall that if I sold alcohol to a minor that I would personally be charged with a crime (and the store too I think). In every other state I have lived in it is the establishment that is charged. They are srs in Oregon.

In any case it seems abundantly clear that the OLCC doesn't want the law to stay the same, at the same time they can't tolerate anyone flaunting breaking of the law.

The lesson to be learned here is to go read your state laws and if they don't allow you to do what you think you need to do, work to change them pro-actively rather than waiting for something like this to happen.

I think the Oregon law clearly does not allow homebrewing competitions, it will be amended in the next legislative session, and it could have been amended years ago if someone had started the process then.

Let me add that I think the AHA should promulgate a model law which hopefully a fairly large number of states would adopt with no or few changes as this would make things far simpler.

That's kind of where they're at. Gary has done this enough times that we're able to use changes to other state's laws as a model for ours.

Back