Beer Sale Gone Wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfman1201

Reaction score
http://www.publicopiniononline.com/.../man-accused-illegally-selling-beer/96263002/

7:00 p.m. ET Jan. 6, 2017
CHAMBERSBURG - A Chambersburg illegally sold branded beer on Craigslist, according to police.

Travis John Miller, 31, is charged with one misdemeanor count of sales of a malt or brewed beverage not for consumption on the premises.

According to court documents, members of the Pennsylvania State Police, Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement out of Harrisburg saw an advertisement on Craigslist on Nov. 25, 2016, for approximately 500 bottles of malt or brewed beverages for sale for $2,500 "or best offer," according to court documents.

The advertisement listed several brands of beer.

Investigators replied to the ad by emailing Miller, and identified him as living in the 800 block of Wallace Avenue, Chambersburg.

Miller agreed to sell a large portion of his "beer cellar" for $3,000, according to court documents, and provided a list of the types of beers being sold. Miller also said he had already sold a large chunk of his beer cellar.

Investigators agreed to meet Miller on Dec. 1 and buy some of the beer for $500 as a down payment. When the money was exchanged, they followed him to his residence where they viewed the cellar.

According to court documents, investigators bought 56 bottles of beer from brands including Brooklyn Brewery, Sierra Nevada, Troeg's, Thirsty Dog Brewing, Russian River and more.

The bottles were taken as evidence, and the PA Liquor Control Board was contacted and verified that Miller was not licensed or privileged to sell, or offer to sell, malt or brewed beverages in Pennsylvania.

Miller's address also was not affiliated with any license issued by the Liquor Control Board.

A search warrant was executed on Dec. 2 on Miller's home, where authorities seized the remaining portion of the beer cellar and recovered $460 of the money used in the controlled buy.

Miller was issued a summons on Dec. 29, which he received on Jan. 1, according to court documents.

Miller is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing on Feb. 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

A search warrant was executed on Dec. 2 on Miller's home, where authorities seized the remaining portion of the beer cellar

raw

C'mon now. Yep, it's illegal, but for ****'s sake, aren't there bigger law enforcement fish to fry out there?

And no, I've never sold a bottle of alcohol.

Yes but it also shows the stupidity of trying to make a sale like this over Craigslist, as opposed to one of the beer-specific pages or FB groups. The authorities do monitor stuff like Craigslist for illicit product sales, mostly looking for drugs (or disguised drug sale posts) or high-volume booze sales (i.e. bootlegging). It's more likely they stumbled across this looking for other things than someone decided specifically to search for neckbeards selling their craft beer "cellars".

Yes but it also shows the stupidity of trying to make a sale like this over Craigslist, as opposed to one of the beer-specific pages or FB groups. The authorities do monitor stuff like Craigslist for illicit product sales, mostly looking for drugs (or disguised drug sale posts) or high-volume booze sales (i.e. bootlegging). It's more likely they stumbled across this looking for other things than someone decided specifically to search for neckbeards selling their craft beer "cellars".
Makes complete sense, but in no way did I say the dude was going about it the "best" way possible...only that LE has a ****-ton of other stuff to worry about.

Dude is a Beer Darwin Award front runner.

C'mon now. Yep, it's illegal, but for ****'s sake, aren't there bigger law enforcement fish to fry out there?

And no, I've never sold a bottle of alcohol.

Many of us have though. And I don't mean any of that MBC ********. How many people here have offered to do C+S for somebody here at least once? I'd bet it is a majority of the highly active members. Of course, how much more illegal it is than shipping alcohol across state lines without a license, which even more people here do, is unclear. So this kind of enforcement should be pretty concerning for folks here, even if the discretion inherent in transacting through sites like TB reduces the risk.

Latest posts

Back