Ordering grains online - buying a lb. when you need a half

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mermaid

Reaction score
So I have what is probably a stupid question, please forgive me.

I like the convenience of ordering "everything" I need for a batch online rather than having to drive to the LHBS. (I hate driving, okay).

The only problem is that most AG recipes are not always in full lb. weights (sometimes you only need a half pound of this, 4 oz of that, etc.)

I have not found any of the online suppliers who sell grains by the ounce. At least it's not obvious how to do so. (I realize that it would probably be a collossal pain in the ass for them to do this)

I should also mention that I don't have a grain mill.

So what's my best option - suck it up and drive to the LHBS for the small quantity of specialty grains, or order a full lb. of crushed grains from my favorite online vendor(s) and store the extra unused grain in the freezer until I need it again?

I only brew every couple months or so.

not sure where you normally buy but check brewmasters warehouse, or Austin Homebrew. You build the complete recipe, can do it by the ounce if need be. Select milled and it all comes in one big bag ready to go.

I've ordered from Brewmasters Warehouse a couple times. They're always fantastic, and they do let you order grains by the ounce.

If it's only like a 1/2 pound off, you could just order double the ingredients (making a whole number) and then brew two batches or a 10 gal batch :D

Brewmaster's Warehouse is the first place I thought of when I read the thread title.

Grains by the oz, crushed to your specification and delivered flat rate to your door with great customer service if anything goes haywire. I can't recommend them more.

austin homebrew is the way I go. on base grains they'll only let you get down to a half a pound increments, but on everything else it's as precise as an ounce. and they let you combine them into multiple grain bills. it's a great interface. Northern brewer has a really great selection of grains and I'd probably buy from them more often if they also would let you buy smaller amounts of specialty grains.

If it's only like a 1/2 pound off, you could just order double the ingredients (making a whole number) and then brew two batches or a 10 gal batch :D

This.

An extra half lb of grain is absolutely a great excuse to buy a 15 gallon pot, bigger mash tun, new HLT, and another burner. Oh and a 50 ft immersion chiller, cuz that 25 wont work well anymore. And a couple additional fermenters. And kegs, you dont want to bottle 100 beers.

(I am completely serious about all of that)

austin homebrew is the way I go. on base grains they'll only let you get down to a half a pound increments, but on everything else it's as precise as an ounce. and they let you combine them into multiple grain bills. it's a great interface. Northern brewer has a really great selection of grains and I'd probably buy from them more often if they also would let you buy smaller amounts of specialty grains.

Aye, Northern Brewer has been my go-to online vendor, but they only sell by the pound and I ended up wasting perfectly good grain because of it. (maybe it's to sell more of their kits?). They're an awesome vendor otherwise - I just wish they had a recipe builder.

Aye, Northern Brewer has been my go-to online vendor, but they only sell by the pound and I ended up wasting perfectly good grain because of it. (maybe it's to sell more of their kits?). They're an awesome vendor otherwise - I just wish they had a recipe builder.

I would speculate that its because the websites like austin hbs and brewmasterswarehouse are a complicated technical challenge, and the order fulfillment process is way different having people measure out grains and filling sacks of a particular grain bill, vs just grabbing the pre-packaged 1lb baggie of cyrstal 40 off the shelf and tossing it in the shipping box.

This.

An extra half lb of grain is absolutely a great excuse to buy a 15 gallon pot, bigger mash tun, new HLT, and another burner. Oh and a 50 ft immersion chiller, cuz that 25 wont work well anymore. And a couple additional fermenters. And kegs, you dont want to bottle 100 beers.

(I am completely serious about all of that)

:rockin:

If it were not for the fact that I live in an apartment with a wooden back porch that's falling down, no garage, and no large circle of friends locally who will drink what I brew - I would be going bonkers with increasing my brewing capacity.

Next year I'm moving back to the midwest (Chicago area) to be closer to my family, and a whole pack of beer-loving friends. I fully intend to build a kegerator, get a banjo burner and a bigass kettle. I'm gonna build the 10 gallon mash tun later this summer.

For now I'm stuck with 5 gallon batches done in split boils on the gas stove in my kitchen (unless the landlord actually gets around to fixing the damned porch).

thanks tho, for the words of encouragement ;)

Back