Ordered the wrong hardware (weldless to welds)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonmandave

Reaction score
So I ordered a couple of Blichmann Brewmometers for my weldless setup. I plan to put one on a Keggle mash tun, and the other on a Bayou Classic Stockpot that I've converted with a ball valve into a boil kettle.

Unfortunately, in a hurry, I ordered the NPT versions for the welded brewpots. In terms of time and cost efficiency, would I be better off to ship these back, or have the female fittings welded on?

If welding is the best option, where would I go? Also, are the female fittings available at any hardware store?

If ya' wanna' pay to get them welded, then do that.

Otherwise, exchange them.

And why the thermometer on your "boil" kettle?

Also, "NPT" fittings are available at MOST hardware stores, however, you alloys ( of which they are made), will be limited. Re: Stainless is not the norm usually.

If ya' wanna' pay to get them welded, then do that.

Otherwise, exchange them.

That doesn't really help with which one is more time and cost efficient. Would I save money and time having it welded, or sending the Brewmometers back, paying two-way shipping and the difference of the weldless design?

It's your wallet, Brother.......I don't know what's in it, or where you live, or what your shipping was, or when ya' want it done, when you need it by.......

Those kind of variables.
What are you doing in the morning?
Load it up and take it by a welding shop, or do it on the way home from work, and see what they'll charge you.

You have all the stuff in hand to do it one way, and ya' got that when you got in a hurry.

They say "Buy once,cry once".

Not giving ya' crap, but you are the only one who can make that call, Brother...........:mug:

Don't go welded because you think it'll be easier or cheaper. It'll probably take at least a week to find a welder/shop that can sanitary weld on thin stainless. You'll be MUCH better off going weldless. Leave the welding to us trained professionals :p

Thanks fellas. I think Matt knocked it out of the park on this one. That's exactly what I was looking for.
I'm not opposed to change at all, but

I'm a little apprehensive about welding out here in Yuma. So, Stealth made a good point with the variables. Maybe if I was closer to a more industrial city, I wouldn't worry so much.

Well, I had a kettle crack in japan when I was stationed there, so I took it to my squadron's airframes shop for a quick tack.

Besides waiting for 3 weeks and scheduling the Junior Marines a meeting with the OIC, (our code phrase for buying the of-age E3 and below a bottle of Captain) the quality was heinous and filthy. Learned my lesson there quick.

Back