Orange Zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
This summer I used a zester to collect a lot of orange peel excluding the bitter white pith.
I let it dry out (maybe a mistake) and soaked 10 grams in a jar with 1.5 ounces of grain alcohol (EverClear) for 2 weeks, which I added to 2.5 gallons of a Blonde ale.

I was very disappointed. This is almost no orange taste, and there is a tint but noticeable impact from the EverClear.

10 grams is actually a lot of zest from a lot of oranges, though when it dries it contracts.

I think next time I will add the zest to the boil, in a hops bag, and see what the impact is.

Maybe I didn't use enough Orange zest?

Maybe I should have used the zest earlier and not let it dry for 6 months?

Anyone have any experience with Orange Zest they would care to discuss?

Orange zest actually gives little orange flavor. Next time do the zest and add crushed corriander seeds which give more orange flavor than oranges do. Try about 1/2 ounce of the corriander seeds.

If Orange zest gives off little flavor then why are one ounce packets of it sold? I would think it should have some effect or else people wouldn't buy those packets and they wouldn't be sold anymore.

Interesting this came up. I'm making a chocolate stout and I want to try adding some orange to a portion of it. Because it's only a portion of the total batch, I need to do it in secondary. I've read that adding orange zest will give you the orange flavor. I found a post from Yooper where she recommending boiling the zest in a small amount of water and adding that to secondary, so that's what I planned.

Interesting that you didn't get much flavor from your zest, but I do wonder if drying it caused you to evaporate most of the flavor. But you are correct that they sell dried orange zest, so somehow that does work. It will be interesting to see other responses.

I just made an Orange/American Wheat. I zested 5 blood red oranges and added to the boil with @ 5 mins left. I also took the fruit and steeped them in 160-170 degree water for about 20 mins. It made something similar to an orange tea and pour that into the primary. Fermentation is winding down and the smell of orange is very prominent.

Orange zest actually gives little orange flavor. Next time do the zest and add crushed corriander seeds which give more orange flavor than oranges do. Try about 1/2 ounce of the corriander seeds.
I fully admit that I've never smelled coriander seeds, but I see that wikipedia is claiming they have a, "lemony citrus flavour," and, "are orange-flavoured," but they are claiming it's due to linalool and pinene in them. But orange oil is mostly limonene with a little linalool and pinene. So I just don't see how the linalool (floral odor) and the pinene (herbal, pine odor) would get you anywhere near orange/citrus aroma. But your olfactory system and how we perceive aromatic compounds is complex, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :mug:

If Orange zest gives off little flavor then why are one ounce packets of it sold? I would think it should have some effect or else people wouldn't buy those packets and they wouldn't be sold anymore.

I think the key here is "little flavor" because like many substitutes for the real thing, using the substitute only gives an artificial flavor but by adding some of the "real thing" you overcome that. JMHO

Coriander seeds will not give you the orange flavor you seek. They will give you mostly a piney floral aroma and flavor if they are quality fresh seeds. Used in conjunction with orange peel in extremely small amounts coriander can slightly enhance the orange flavor as they do have a very slight citrus flavor. Be cautious with how much you use. Coriander can and will overpower a brew easily.

If you want orange flavor and aroma use orange peel and or zest. I prefer to use a combination of the two. Dried sweet orange peel is my go to as I do not want to add to the bitterness I already get from hops. Play with the amounts you add to get you to your desired flavor. I find a couple ounces with 15min left in the boil get me to where I want in the couple brews I use them in.

Back