Orange Wheat Hef Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgsrfr

Reaction score
I just did my first all grain batch yesterday (Orange Wheat Hef). Everything went really well but I got a little bit of a bitter taste when I tried the sweet wort. I did a 10 gallon batch using 8lbs 2 row, 10 lbs White Wheat. 1oz Cascade 60 min boil, 2oz Cascade 5min and 12 orange zested (Some were a little green) These were high quality oranges direct from Gless Ranch. If I don't like the bitterness is there anything I can do about it now? Was it the green in the orange peals?

Hmm... did you end up adding a lot of the pith (the white layer beneath the orange layer)? That will impart a lot of bitterness. If you're just looking for sweet and citrus flavors in the future you'll want to just zest the orange layer and leave the pith behind.

I don't think I got any of the pith. I wasn't looking out for it but I used a very fine zester. Some of the peals were a little green so I think that may have had a impact.

Quite possible. But samples tasted before adding yeast will often taste really bitter. Fermentation changes a lot of the flavor characteristics.

Back